[Review] Safe Haven - Nicholas Sparks

Title of book: Safe Haven
Author: Nicholas Sparks
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing

When a mysterious young woman named Katie appears in the small North Carolina town of Southport, her sudden arrival raises questions about her past. Beautiful yet self-effacing, Katie seems determined to avoid forming personal ties until a series of events draws her into two reluctant relationships: one with Alex, a widowed store owner with a kind heart and two young children; and another with her plainspoken single neighbor, Jo. Despite her reservations, Katie slowly begins to let down her guard, putting down roots in the close-knit community and becoming increasingly attached to Alex and his family. But even as Katie begins to fall in love, she struggles with the dark secret that still haunts and terrifies her . . . a past that set her on a fearful, shattering journey across the country, to the sheltered oasis of Southport. With Jo's empathic and stubborn support, Katie eventually realizes that she must choose between a life of transient safety and one of riskier rewards . . . and that in the darkest hour, love is the only true safe haven.

Safe Haven reminds me of The Guardian. Most of Sparks's books that I've read are all about drama, romance, and tears. Except this book with all the suspense Katie's husband makes, and The Guardian too. So when I was reading Safe Haven, I got the same feeling as when I read The Guardian. It's hard for me to put down the book because I love mysteries, I love thriller. I have a tendency to always want to know the continuation of the story if the book contains mystery (even if it's only just a bit mystery).
I don't know if the main attraction that Sparks intended is Katie-Alex relationship or not. But, I think Katie's anxiety of her husband is the one which makes me want to finish the book. I like the twist about Jo, Katie's neighbor. It's unexpected and good addition to the story.
Safe Haven has been adapted into movie starring Julianne Hough as Katie and Josh Duhamel as Alex. Some people said that the movie is very different from the book, but I don't know. I haven't watched the movie and don't think wanna watch it. I've watched the trailer and I'm not drawn to it.
Despite the romance, it talks about abusive marriage, which is good I think. Because it could give us an insight about it. Sadly, It happens a lot nowadays and sometimes it's easier to talk about avoiding that rather than doing it. Katie's choice to leave her husband is a brave action and needs a lot of courage. Anyway, it's a good book. For you who think that you hate cheesy romance and don't want to read this book, try to read it from different perspective. Maybe you'll learn to like it. :)



No comments :

Post a Comment