[Review] Monster Squad: The Iron Golem - Christian Page

Title of Book : Monster Squad: The Iron Golem
Author : Christian Page
Publisher : New Generation Publishing

Monsters. Mad Scientists. Danger.
Dark forces are converging on the sleepy town of Autumn’s Hallow. Monsters in the woods, mad scientists on the loose and sinister minions lurk. Four young friends must band together to uncover a secret plot that threatens them, the town they live in and the people they love. It’s up to Blaine Davis, Daschle Gaunt, Shelley Merry and Drake Harker, heirs to fantastic powers to stop an evil that threatens to consume the world. Can the Monster Squad thwart the evil Victor von Frankenstein in time? Find out in Book 1 of an exciting new series!
New Generation Publishing’s 2014 Children’s Book of the Year Award Winner



I was excited to read this book because based on its premise, Monster Squad: The Iron Golem is an adventurous book with a bit of horror and sci-fi elements mixed in it. I love horror story so I was intrigued. The Iron Golem is the first book in a series (called Monster Squad? I guess). I’m not sure if it’s going to be a trilogy or a long series.
Monster Squad: The Iron Golem is about four thirteen-ish kids who have super powers that they inherit from their ancestors. Each of them has different super power (or supernatural power). They didn’t know that they have these powers until a mysterious creature appears in their town, the Autumn’s Hallow. As they try to identify this creature, they discover the truth about their ancestors.
I like the idea of incorporating classic horror monster to the story. But there are little details that bug me. Several characters in this book have the same name as famous literary characters. It’s cool actually, still at first it was confusing to me. I’m used to the idea of the characters in their original environment. I’m used to Bram Stoker’s Mina Harker or Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein that it’s a bit weird for me to put them in different situation. Even if Mina Harker in this book might not be the same as Mina Harker who’s in Dracula, I kept on thinking that they’re one character. I know, it’s confusing. Maybe it’s just me, but that’s okay because as I read more those things didn’t really bother me.
This book starts slow then it builds up to a full action story. It was a fun read. There’s a lot of unresolved mysteries, since this book is the first book in a series. I’m curious to see the continuation of the series. Monster Squad: The Iron Golem is a good choice for those who love horror/science fiction middle grade book.
I received a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review. 


No comments :

Post a Comment