Cool Bookish Podcasts Worth Listening to


I’m developing a new habit recently, which is listening to podcast. It’s free, easy, and practical because I can get new information while I’m doing anything else. I can listen to podcast anytime and anywhere I like. I can stream each episode, or download it so I can listen to it later (in case I won’t have any internet connection). The type of information that I can listen to also varies since there’s already a lot of podcast providers that specialize in specific topic. So in this post, I wanna talk about that and share several podcasts that I’ve been listening to.


What is podcast?

To make matters easier, I’m quoting podcast definition from Oxford online dictionary and Wikipedia.
A digital audio file made available on the Internet for downloading to a computer or portable media player, typically available as a series, new instalments of which can be received by subscribers automatically. 
          – Oxford definition
A podcast is a digital medium that consists of an episodic series of audio, digital radio, PDF, or ePub files subscribed to and downloaded through web syndication or streamed online to a computer or mobile device. The word is a neologism and portmanteau derived from "broadcast" and "pod" from the success of the iPod, as audio podcasts are often listened to on portable media players. 
          – Wikipedia

Apparently, Wikipedia’s definition of podcast is broader than Oxford dictionary. However, what I want to talk about in this post is the audio podcast. Because like what I said earlier, the keyword is listen. Below are my top 5 podcasts and they are in no particular order.

Book Riot

Book Riot - The Podcast is a weekly news and talk show about what's new, cool, and worth talking about in the world of books and reading, brought to you by the editors of Book Riot.
If you’re familiar with bookriot.com then I have nothing more to say. But this podcast is basically giving updated news surrounding literary industry. Whether there’ll be a new book to movie adaptation, new releases, or other related issues. This podcast is hosted by Jeff O’Neal and Rebecca Schinsky, editors of Bookriot.com.


Dear Book Nerd

Dear Book Nerd is a bi-weekly advice show about life, love, and literature.
Dear Book Nerd started as an advice column on bookriot.com. It gives advice based on questions sent by bookrioters. The questions are usually books related or how book affects reader’s life such as how to get more time to read, how do you find good book, etc. Dear Book Nerd is hosted by Rita Meade, a contributing editor of bookriot.com. You could actually send question to them by sending email to dearbooknerd@bookriot.com.

The Readers


The Readers is a podcast hosted by Simon Savidge and Gavin Pugh. Both are book bloggers and passionate readers. Each episode they would pick a certain topic to discuss such as reading outside your comfort zone, book recommendations, judging people by what they read, etc. I know that YA is kind of popular now, but they don’t really read YA. So you won’t hear a lot of YA books discussed in the show. Mostly they talk about literary fiction which I find interesting. They are funny and I enjoy listening to this podcast.



Literary Disco


Literary Disco is a podcast hosted by Julia Pistell, Tod Goldberg, and Rider Strong. They all are writers. This podcast talks about a specific book in each episode. Usually the episode starts off with a segment called ‘revisiting book shelf’ where the host talks about a book that’s on his/her shelf. Then they will talk about a book that’s been picked on earlier episode. Even sometimes they bring authors to discuss the book. I love listening to Literary Disco. They are funny and straightforward when arguing about books. The books that they read are varies from Winnie the Pooh to Dr. Sleep or even The Fault in Our Stars. I also love their ‘Poet voice’ segment which I find hilarious and annoying at the same time.

Serial


Serial is a non-book related podcast. I mention it here because listening to Serial feels like listening to an audiobook. A nonfiction one. It’s a crime nonfiction show that’s presented in documentary style. Serial is hosted by Sarah Koenig and the first season already ends with 12 episode in total.








You can listen to them for free using iTunes or directly from their websites. If you’re on the go, Book Riot and Dear Book Nerd have their own smartphone app which you can find in the play store or apple app store. Also, aside of these podcasts that I’ve mentioned I’m sure there’s a lot more out there. Tell me in the comment if you’ve also been listening to these or if you have other recommended podcast to listen to.

*images are taken from here, here, here, here, and here.

No comments :

Post a Comment