Favorite Books of 2014


2014 has passed and it was a good reading year for me. I read quite a lot and some of them turn to be my favorites. So in this post, I want to show you my favorite books of 2014. These books don't necessarily published in 2014 but I read it in 2014. Also, the books in this list are in no particular order.

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson
This is the first Morgan Matson that I read. This book surprised me. I expected a light, fluffy contemporary read. But this book is so much more. It's heart-wrenching and I cried a lot while I was reading this book. I really recommend this book. My review of this book can be read here.

A Time to Kill by John Grisham
This book is the first Grisham's book. He's one of my favorite author, yet it took me so long to read this book. Mostly because A Time to Kill is so big. My copy has 900ish pages, but it was worth it. This book is sooo good. There's a lot going on in this book and wow. just wow. I wrote a review of this book in Bahasa Indonesia (because I read the translated edition of this book) here.

Stolen by Lucy Christopher
Stolen is a book about kidnapping and talks about Stockholm syndrome. This book is beautiful. I love the writing and I can't help but sympathize toward the characters. Even the captor. When I was reading this book, sometimes I got sad, a bit angry, depressed, but sometimes I was touched by the captor's actions. It's beautiful, guys. You should read it.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
The Help is a book about three women from different social classes and races. It talks about important issues which interest me. Despite of the heavy topic, this book is easy to read. I have some small problems with this book, but I still love it anyway. My review of The Help is here

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Holy moly macaroni hands down for Hosseini for writing such an amazing book. All the feels, man. This book is intense and sad. It could be depressing at times, but it's so gripping. It was hard for me to put it down. I really really recommend this book. My review of this book is here.

Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover
I honestly don't know how to properly express my feelings about this book. It's an emotional read for sure. It talks about infidelity so if you're uncomfortable with that, there I've warned you. But if you're okay with that topic then I suggest you to read this book. I recommend to read this book without knowing much. This book will surprise you. It surprised me. It's a good start if you're new to new adult books.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
This book is crazy. It's dark, intense, and disturbing. Yum, the combination of my three favorite things for a mystery/thriller book. This book will play with your mind. Unreliable narrator. No one to trust. This book is also big, but the journey is worth it. 

On Writing by Stephen King
My first non-fiction read of the year! and I love it. It's a how-to-be-a-writer book that is written as a memoir. There's a lot of useful advice in this book. My copy of this book has a lot of tabs in it just to mark my favorite parts and useful advice. For those who haven't read his other books especially Carrie and Misery might be heavily spoiled. That would be because King talks about these books a lot in On Writing. I haven't read those books, so unfortunately I was spoiled. But it's okay because I enjoy this book.

So there you have it. How about your favorite books of 2014? Do some of these books make to your list as well?

No comments :

Post a Comment