[Review] The BFG - Roald Dahl

Title of Book : The BFG (Big Friendly Giant)
Author : Roald Dahl
Publisher : PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama

Captured by a giant!
The BFG is no ordinary bone-crunching giant. He is far too nice and jumbly. It's lucky for Sophie that he is. Had she been carried off in the middle of the night by the Bloodbottler, or any of the other giants—rather than the BFG—she would have soon become breakfast. When Sophie hears that the giants are flush-bunking off to England to swollomp a few nice little chiddlers, she decides she must stop them once and for all. And the BFG is going to help her!


The BFG is one of the book that I bought in the Book Fair, so yeah I got this book for only Rp 10.000 ($ 1.00) too. My intention was only to buy Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but there were another Roald Dahl's books on the shelf and it's cheap so I bought it. I didn't expect much from The BFG. Based on the title, the story is about giants, 10 giants. I think children book is supposed to be fun and entertaining but The BFG is a bit scary even for children. Most of the giants eat human. Even the name of the giants are scary (except BFG). The Fleshlumpeater, The Bonecruncher, The Manhugger, The Childchewer, The Meatdripper, The Gizzardgulper, The Maidmasher, The Bloodbottler, and The Butcher Boy. Hmm, I wonder how the children will sleep at night after reading this knowing that those giants could be somewhere in the world eating human for their dinner. 
There's fun in this book even though a bit disgusting. Frobscottle which in our world is the same as soda could make the drinker do whizpopper which is the same as ... farting. That's the fun (at least in BFG's mind). BFG tells the heroine (Sophie) that he is uneducated so he couldn't spell well and that's annoying to me because sometimes I didn't know what he's talking about or what he means. What's weird is his name. He's being called as the BIG friendly giant. While he said to Sophie that he is the smallest giant. Err ... whatever. It's a children book anyway, with a lot of fantasy so I shouldn't overthink it, should I ?


No comments :

Post a Comment