[Review] Something Borrowed (Darcy & Rachel #1) - Emily Giffin

Title of Book : Something Borrowed (Darcy & Rachel #1)
Author : Emily Giffin
Publisher : St. Martin's Paperback

The smash-hit debut novel for every woman who has ever had a complicated love-hate friendship.
Rachel White is the consummate good girl. A hard-working attorney at a large Manhattan law firm and a diligent maid of honor to her charmed best friend Darcy, Rachel has always played by all the rules. Since grade school, she has watched Darcy shine, quietly accepting the sidekick role in their lopsided friendship. But that suddenly changes the night of her thirtieth birthday when Rachel finally confesses her feelings to Darcy's fiance, and is both horrified and thrilled to discover that he feels the same way. As the wedding date draws near, events spiral out of control, and Rachel knows she must make a choice between her heart and conscience. In so doing, she discovers that the lines between right and wrong can be blurry, endings aren't always neat, and sometimes you have to risk everything to be true to yourself.


I first know Something Borrowed when I watched a movie in the cinema. Something Borrowed's trailer was being played before the movie started. After I watched the trailer of Something Borrowed, I'm curious about the movie and I've been wanting to watch it since. Turns out it was adapted from a book. As an avid reader, I changed my determination from wanting to watch the movie into wanting to read the book.
I love the characters of Something Borrowed. Each one of them leaves deep impressions on me. Rachel is definitely someone who I could relate to. Dex? I just love him, a(n) (almost) perfect husband material. Darcy ? I hate hate hate hate her, a shallow New Yorker woman. Ethan ? He's someone that I could be best friend with, a nice guy. When I first read about Rachel-Dex affair, I was like 'what the?!'. I was about to like Rachel but then when she had an imagination of her in the court and tried to defend her affair, her betrayal, I started to look down on her. But then, as the story goes, the unhealthy friendship between her and Darcy was revealed, and I was like 'oh okay, Darcy deserves that. She's selfish. I'm team Rachel now'.
The flow of the story is sometimes nerve-wracking. Dex's indecisiveness about who he wants to be with irritates me, and it takes a loooot of time for him to figure it out. I could hear myself shouting to him 'Can't you see that you and Rachel are a perfect couple? just call off the wedding!'. The ending surprises me though. I thought it would only be about Rachel and Dex, about whether Dex wants to marry Darcy or be with Rachel. But it's more than that and I like it.
After I finished reading Something Borrowed, I couldn't bring myself to watch the movie because of Colin Egglesfield! *squeal* He's the one who acts as Dexter. I like Dexter's personality and I love Colin! I can't stand seeing him kissing around Darcy, who's portrayed by Kate Hudson (Hey, I'm team Rachel). Something Borrowed is the first contemporary romance book that got me book hangover. You have no idea how it feels like to finally let it out of my system about how good this book is.



No comments :

Post a Comment