[Reviews] The Walking Dead Volume 1 - 3

Title: The Walking Dead Vol 1: Days Gone By
Issues: #1-#6
Writer: Robert Kirkman
Illustrator: Tony Moore
Publisher: Image Comics
Publication year: 2006
Language: English
Pages: 144
Rating: 5/5

The Walking Dead is the first zombie apocalyptic book/graphic novel that I ever read. I’ve seen the TV show and love it. I love that it’s not full action and only focus on the zombies and how the people survive. I was hesitant at first to start reading the graphic novel because I was afraid that it would ruin the TV show for me. I’m glad that I decided to pick this up. There are differences between the graphic novel and the show but it doesn’t really bother me. One of the differences is the fact that there is no Daryl in the graphic novel, which resulting in the differences in the plot. Daryl is actually my favorite character from the show, so it’s a bit of a downer for me. But that doesn’t make me not enjoying this graphic novel. I still love Rick and I still hate Shane. I think Shane is the one who’s being delusional and naïve. He thought that the zombie apocalypse won’t last long. He’s still bitter towards Rick and Gosh do I hate him. 
The art is what I would consider as tolerable. In a sense that the zombie drawing is not as gory and disgusting as I thought it would be. Because I wouldn’t be able to enjoy the writing if every time I try to read it, I would end up throwing up. So that’s a good point. The end of this volume surprised me. Because, having watched the show, I didn’t expect it to happen this soon. It’s like things escalated quickly. I don’t want to spoil anything so I’m not gonna explain further what’s really happen at the ending. But to be honest, I am glad it happened. Overall, amazing writing, not your typical horror flick. Definitely five out of five.




Title: The Walking Dead Vol 2: Miles Behind Us
Issues: #7-#12
Writer: Robert Kirkman
Illustrator: Charlie Adlard
Publisher: Image Comics
Publication year: 2004
Language: English
Pages: 136
Rating: 4/5

Reading this volume, I’m starting to distinguish the graphic novel from the show. The outline of this graphic novel’s plot is the same with the show. Except for some events that’s related to specific characters that are not in both media. In this volume, Rick and the survivors meet Tyreese and what’s left of his family. They found an abandon estate that they thought would be their new home. Things didn’t go well so they had to leave and live on the road again. Then something happened that caused them to seek help from a guy named Hershel, who owns a farm.
I love Rick. He’s dependable despite of the things he’s been through. He seems a lot older in this volume. Everyone starts to lose their mind and Lori annoys me a lot. The stories in this volume set in winter. So there’s snow everywhere. It’s interesting to see how snow affects the zombies because as far as I can remember, there's no snow in the show. Rick names the zombie that’s walking around as ‘roamers’. I don’t like that term. It’s not as catchy as ‘walker’. If the first volume sets up the world and introduce us the main survivors, this one is on for psychological conflict that the characters face. 




Title: The Walking Dead Vol 3: Safety Behind Bars
Issues: #13-#18
Writer: Robert Kirkman
Illustrator: Charlie Adlard
Publisher: Image Comics
Publication year: 2005
Language: English
Pages: 136
Rating: 4/5

Rick and the other survivors found an abandoned prison. It looks safe enough to be their new home. There are still a few zombies there and the inmates. Things get pretty intense. Crazy things happen. These people are struggling to keep their humanity and sanity. They also find out a new interesting fact about the zombies.
I feel sorry for Rick. His leadership in the group is being questioned by his own wife. Lori is even more annoying than ever. It might be because of hormones, since she’s pregnant and all. But she’s still annoying. I’m not sure if I can’t stand her anymore. I’m interested to see where the story goes. I know that they will encounter the governor at some point. It’s exciting. Four out of five.



2 comments :

  1. aku baru mau mulai baca inii, soalnya banyak yg bilang baguss :D mudah2an aku suka juga :D

    ReplyDelete