February 2019 Wrap-Up & Favorites


Hello fellow readers! It's award season and because of that I focused my February to watch all of the Best Picture nominees of the Academy Award. No, it's not an excuse to why I only read one book in February. I just simply wanted to spend my time appreciating and watching these movies.


Books read in February


The Sound of Waves The Sound of Waves - Yukio Mishima (★★★)
The Sound of Waves tells a love story between a young fisherman named Shinji and a pearl diver named Hatsue, who is also the daughter of a wealthy merchant. The book is set in an isolated fictional island of Uta-jima. The plot is simple and predictable. Yet the writing is full of serene atmosphere and really refreshing to read. I've written a full review of this book which will be up later in this blog


February Favorites


TV Series

House MD

Source
I know I'm late on the bandwagon. But hey it's better late than never. I understand why people love this series. House is a fascinating character. He weirdly reminds me of Sherlock Holmes. So House's like a medical version of Sherlock Holmes. I connect to his humour and his friendship with Dr. Wilson is always entertaining to watch. I watch the entire season 1 in February. I'd like to continue on to the next season, but I think I want to pause and watch another series for a while.


Movie

The Godfather Trilogy

Source
This is actually my first time watching the trilogy. These movies are considered as classics and a must watch movies of all time. So I got curious. But I always put it off of my to-watch list because I thought The Godfather would be like those action movies that is totally not my cup of tea. Not to mention, the duration of the movies, three hours! I mean, what kind of story that these Mafia have to tell that it took three hours. It turns out they do have a lot to tell. It was intense and emotional. I got totally invested in the lives of the Corleone famiy. It's awesome. The only regret that I have is I didn't watch it sooner. I highly highly recommend the trilogy. Especially the first one and the second one.

Green Book

Source
Green Book is a movie that I didn't expect I would enjoy so much. The summary didn't intrigue me as much as the other nominees. The only reason I watched it besides of the Academy Award is, of course, Viggo Mortensen. I love Aragorn. I love Mortensen as Aragorn. Hence why I'm interested in this movie. Green book is actually the last round of movie that I watched before the Academy Award. What I like from this movie besides Mortensen is, even though it's about racism, it has an uplifting quality in it. The friendship between Mortensen's character, Tony Lip, and Ali's character, Don Shirley is heartwarming and put a smile on my face despite of the situation. The soundtrack is also nice to listen to. I'm aware that this movie is deemed problematic but I choose to just enjoy the movie as it is. Guess what? Green Book won the award for Best Picture! I'm just going to leave it at that.

There you have it! My February wrap-up and favorites. If February is a movie month for me, I intend to make March a bookish month. Because there will be a book bazaar near the city where I live called Big Bad Wolf. It's an international book bazaar so not only Indonesia books, there will be lots and lots of English books. Let's face it, I surely will spend money there so I'd like to make a dent on my TBR pile. That way, I won't feel guilty adding more from the bazaar. What about you? Have you watched some or maybe all of the Academy Award nominees? Do you have any particular plan for March?

No comments :

Post a Comment