[Review] Dangerous Girls - Abigail Haas

Title of Book : Dangerous Girls
Author : Abigail Haas
Publisher : Simon Pulse
Published date : 16th July 2013

Paradise quickly gets gruesome in this thrilling page-turner with a plot that’s ripped from the headlines and a twist that defies the imagination.
It’s Spring Break of senior year. Anna, her boyfriend Tate, her best friend Elise, and a few other close friends are off to a debaucherous trip to Aruba that promises to be the time of their lives.
But when Elise is found brutally murdered, Anna finds herself trapped in a country not her own, fighting against vile and contemptuous accusations. As Anna sets out to find her friend’s killer, she discovers harsh revelations about her friendships, the slippery nature of truth, and the ache of young love.
Awaiting the judge’s decree, it becomes clear to Anna that everyone around her thinks she is not only guilty, but also dangerous. And when the whole story comes out, reality is more shocking than anyone ever imagined...

I don’t know where to start. This book is a real page-turner. I really have to thank pulseit.com for providing Dangerous Girls to be read for free. For a week though, so I was lucky. Ha!
It was started at the gang’s spring break vacation in Aruba. Their heaven on earth turned into hell after Elise is murdered and one of them is being accused as the murderer. Dangerous Girls is written from Anna’s point of view, the one who’s being accused as the murderer of Elise, her best friend. Being a convict in a place far from home is not a vacation she had planned. We’ll follow Anna’s struggle to prove that she’s innocent and through her eyes we’ll also find out the surprising truth.
As for the mystery, I think it’s acceptable for YA mystery. Haas could give more red herring to make it more interesting. Even though it’s almost clear who the murderer is and I could guess who (don’t worry I won’t tell), this book still gives me a creepy psychological twist ending.
Anna is one hell of character. She has complex emotions and appear as a damaged girl to me. I think Anna and Elise have similar characteristics and probably that is what makes them perfect for each other. I don’t know how I feel about their friendship. Their friendship is unhealthy. They are obsessed with each other and a bit possessive which creeps me out.  
What I like from this book is its nonlinear narration. Each chapter describes events happened in specific part of the big timeline. Even though its non-chronological order confused me at first, as I read the book, this narrative style could complement the effect that I got from reading this book.
This book is intense it could make me mad sometimes. I just can’t wait to see how it ends. This book is messing around with my head and somehow I like that (does that make me a freak? Hope not). 
It’s a very good read if you want to pick something different to read and if you like psychological YA thriller book. A bit of drugs here and there, a murder. Just prepare yourself to be mindblown. I’ve warned you.


No comments :

Post a Comment