April 2021 Wrap-Up & Favorites

April Wrap-Up & Favorites
Source: personal collection

Hello fellow readers! How are you? Hope you all are safe and healthy. This year, the last half of April coincides with Ramadhan month. Usually, during Ramadhan I have more time to spare which means more time to read. However, for some reason this year in this particular month a project at work is scheduled to start which takes my time and concentration. Not to mention, during fasting month I have to make an adjustment to my life schedule (as in sleeping and eating). So as an entertainment, I prefer binge watching series to read books. Anyway, here's the list of books I read in April.

Books read in April


The Alchemist The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho (★★)
I think most people have read or at least heard of this book. So I won't go into details about the plot. This is actually my second attempt at reading the book. I didn't finish this book the first time around. Unfortunately, although I manage to finish it, I don't particularly like what I read. It's just not for me. I've written a full review of this book explaining why which will be up sometime later on this blog. One thing that I forgot to mention in my full review is how the author often referred the protagonist as the boy instead of his name, Santiago. I take it the author did it deliberately to make it easier for the readers to relate to the protagonist. Still, it doesn't do it for me. But if you're curious about this book or if based on the premise you think this book could help you in any way, then I recommend it for you to read. It actually has some valuable lessons.
The Chimes The Chimes - Anna Smaill (★★)
The Chimes is one of those books that's been on my TBR for such a long time. It's longlisted for Man Booker Prize in 2015. It's a dystopian YA book with a unique concept which revolves around music. I was interested in picking it up because I thought the idea sounded original. I also have interest in music. However, the execution is not what I expected. The world set up is confusing. The pacing is off and I got bored halfway. It took me longer than the usual time it takes me to read a 300-ish pages books. I wrote a full review of this book if you want to know more on my thoughts about this book.
First Comes Love First Comes Love - Emily Giffin (★★★)
First Comes Love is a family drama. It's about sisters who lost their brother in their youth resulting in their relationship becomes strained. This book follows them in their thirties, confronting their past and the secrets revolving their brother's death hoping to finally able to move on with their lives. I picked up this book because I wanted to read something comforting and this book is the only unread Giffin's book that I have lying around. If you don't know, Emily Giffin is one of the authors whose books I considered as my comfort read. Though overall this book is not the perfect book but it's what I need at the time so I enjoyed reading it. I wrote a full review of this book which will be posted on this blog.

Review Posts in March

April Favorites


Series

Modern Family


If you read my previous month's wrap-up, you'll know that I've been watching Modern Family. Still Enjoying the show and I think I'm invested in the characters. By the time I wrote this post, I was already in the 10th season. It's saddened me realizing that I'm almost reaching the end of the show. I know I binge watch the show when it's already out but it still feels like I grow with them. I'm gonna miss the show when I finish it.

So there you have it! Not much happening in the reading front. I watched several films but they're all just okay. I watched them because I was in the mood for something fun, for example Kong: Skull Island and I re-watched several Marvel films from the Infinity Saga. By the way, since I'm already on season 10 of Modern Family, pretty sure I'll finish it in no time and I'll run out of comedies to watch. If you have any recommendation, feel free to leave it on the comment. For reference, I've watched Friends, Seinfeld, Full House, 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, The Office, Community, Scrubs, HIMYM, Brooklyn99, New Girl, Superstore, Fresh Off the Boat, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Veep, oh boy that's a lot. Still, if you have any recommendation other than those titles, please leave it on the comment. Stay safe and healthy, hope you have a wonderful month ahead!

No comments :

Post a Comment