August 2020 Wrap-Up & Favorites

August Wrap-Up & Favorites
Source: personal collection

Hi fellow readers! How are you? I won't get tired to say hope you all stay safe and healthy both physically and mentally. I was so excited for August because BTS released a new single which I looove (also, it's my birthday month lol). It's even more fun than Boy with Luv and it's uplifting which means a lot especially in a time like this. My, God! You have no idea how much I love these boys and their music. Anyway, here are the books I read in August.

Books read in August


Love: Vintage Minis Love: Vintage Minis - Jeanette Winterson (★★★★)
This book is a part of Penguin Vintage Mini collection which revolves around the theme of love. This one includes excerpts from Winterson's books and her commentary on the specific piece. The books are Orange Are Not The Only Fruit, The Passion, Sexing the Cherry, Written on the Body, Art and Lies, The World and Other Places, The Powerbook, Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?, The Gap of Time, and Christmas Days. Through this book Winterson asks us several questions on love and how she reflects on it based on her life experience through his writings. It's not just about romantic passionate love. Since this book includes many of Winterson's books which have different themes revolved around love, she also explores different kind of loves. The one which caught my attention is when she commented on her book Written on the Body. In this book, she takes a look at romantic love without gender. What would happen if the gender of the narrator is not specified on the writing. How would we read love then. This interests me because I've always wondered the answer to the big question, what love really is. Does gender actually have a role in us trying to identify if it is love? Of course, I don't think a short essay would be enough to answer this but I appreciate it that someone recognise this and have a conversation about it. Although I haven't read any of Winterson's works before, I was so excited to read this one because I love the idea of love. For a short word with four letters, I think it holds such a grand and complex meaning. It's always a pleasure for me to read and learn about others' perspective on love. Needless to say, after reading the excerpt from Winterson's books and her thoughts on love, I'm interested to read some books included here. I recommend this book to read.
How to Be Both How to Be Both - Ali Smith (★★★)
How to Be Both is such a beloved book. I heard a lot of good things about it. It's been on my TBR for years. This year I finally manage to read this book. It follows two women from two different eras, one set in contemporary England and another set in 15th Century Italy. The way this book is written and published is unique. At least it's unlike anything I've read before. However, it took time for me to get into this book because one of the narrations is written in the stream-of-consciousness style which can be confusing to read. Other than that, I enjoyed the overall reading experience. I've written a full review of this book which will be posted on this blog.
Depression: Vintage Minis Depression: Vintage Minis - William Styron (★★★★)
This book is a memoir by William Styron on his experience battling depression. It's originally published in 1990 under the title Darkness Visible. It opens with Styron telling his experience suffering from severe depression when he was at his worst back in Paris. He explains how it was for him since it affects differently on each person. It doesn't happen in just one night, he's been struggling with it for months and years even. Not only that, he also shares stories from other writers and his associates who have severe depression. This memoir is an eye-opener to me. Styron said in this book that depression is a disease unimaginable to those who aren't suffering from it. God forbid anyone suffers from it but it is a reality that this mental illness exists. Unfortunately, not everyone could at least acknowledge that. There are still many people out there who still think that it isn't real which is why I recommend this book to read. I think this book could give a little insight on it. I
Angelfall Angelfall - Susan Ee (★★★)
Angelfall follows Penryn in a world where the angels invade the earth, creating chaos and destroying human civilization. Angelfall is the first book in a trilogy. I was first interested in this title because it's such a beloved back then when it's just released. I've been putting off reading this book until I have a lot more time to read and less to buy more new books which is these days. Overall though, this book is your usual YA fantasy book with the usual tropes. If you read a lot of YA fantasy books recently then read this book, I think you'll get bored because there's nothing special with this book. However, I still enjoy it because it's been a while since I last read a young adult fantasy. So it's a nice change of pace for me. Anyway, I wrote a full review of this book which will be posted on this blog.

Review Posts in August

August Favorites


Book

Love: Vintage Minis

Music

BTS - Dynamite
Well, duh!

TV shows

Better Call Saul
Better Call Saul
Source

Breaking Bad is one of my all time favorite shows. I miss Breaking Bad but kinda not want to rewatch it. I want a show with similar vibe that I haven't watched before. Why not watch the spin off? Besides, I like Saul Goodman. I find him enjoyable to watch. He's funny. Guess what? I end up binge-watching the show. By the time I wrote this, I'm already on season 5 ep 7. Three episodes left then I have to wait for season 6 which rumor has it, is going to be the final season of the series.

So there you have it! Overall I feel pretty good, not as down as the previous month. Things will get better. Hopefully. By the way, I work out routinely lately. Currently I'm following Pamela Reif's workout plan. You can find her on YouTube and Instagram. Aside of feeling a lot better physically, I also discover several fun songs to listen to through her workout video. That's definitely a plus. You should check her out if you're looking for home workout videos! What about you? Any new habit you pick up lately?

No comments :

Post a Comment