Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.
This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic is an interesting one. I think it's therapeutic to admit that you have problems. So here are some book related problems that I have.
1. Matching edition (for book series). This also applies to the cover. I read not only English books. Sometimes I read the translated version (into Bahasa Indonesia) of books. If I own a translated version of a book in a series, then the rest must be in translated version too. Even if it means I have to wait for months or a year (translated version tends to be published later than the original). Except the publisher decided to stop translating the series.
I used to collect the translated version of the first five books in the How to Train Your Dragon series. Then the publisher decided not to translate and publish the next books (I'm not sure if they're planning to because it's been YEARS since book six came out). I even sent an email to the publisher asking about this. They said they're evaluating the series. I don't know how it turns out because until now, I don't see any translated version of book six out in bookstores. So I sold+donated my translated copy and re-buy the entire series in English. Yep. That's how far I'll go to collect matching edition (and cover).
2. Not a quitter. No matter how suck the book would probably be, I don't like to not finish a book. According to my goodreads account, of all 375 books that I've started, only 4 are left unfinished. Even I considered to reread some of them to see if maybe I'll like them better. You might think that it's a waste of time. I mean, why would you read books that you don't enjoy reading? but that's just me. I just can't do it. If I end up DNF-ing a book, that book's probably really really bad.
3. Never-ending wishlist. I'm always in a constant need to buy new books. At least a book in a month. Especially after I joined goodreads and book blogging community; then there's youtube. So many good book recommendations! I know I'm not the only one. This also leads to a new problem which is ...
4. Never-ending TBR piles. I've explained the root of this problem in the previous point. Another thing is, I'm not a fast reader. I know some people who read like 100 books a year. I can't do that. I like to take time with my reading (and procrastinate a bit).
5. Not knowing what to read next. In spite of those untouched/ unread books that's been sitting on my shelf forever, it's always hard for me to decide what to read next. This might sounds ridiculous, but it's true! Maybe having a wide range selection of unread books is what makes it more difficult.
6. Insomnia. Sometimes I read a book before I go to sleep. This will be a problem if the book I'm reading is so good and intriguing; and I have classes to attend to next morning. I might end up finishing the book with only three hours left to sleep.
7. Awkward reading positions
8. Reading in public. Yeah, this is not a problem. Until I got all emotional or laughing out loud because of what I was reading.
9. Reading slumps. For me, it usually happens after I finished a very good book or a very emotional read.
10. I'm totally okay with these problems, which means that these aren't considered as problems? or does it make them even more serious?
Maybe we share the same problem(s). Hey, we can make a group therapy for this. Haha. Anyway share your bookish problems or leave a link to your post in the comment.