[Review] Oh to Grace - Abby Rosser

Title of Book : Oh to Grace
Author : Abby Rosser
Publisher : Vision Quest
Published date : 28 May 2013

Oh to Grace is a marvel-a book that will appeal to fans of many genres of fiction. Here, you'll read several love stories intertwined across the decades, some tragic and some humorous. You'll find action and suspense, as you're transported to Prohibition-era Chicago and its nefarious characters. There is the heartbreak and tenderness of a family drama, with births and deaths and complex relationships. Finally, you'll enjoy plenty of rustic flavor as you're immersed in the rural Tennessee world of the Watson family as they struggle to face life's challenges with grace. All of this is written in a fresh and exciting new voice in fiction, with page-turning readability. -Jan Ackerson, Editor

Oh to Grace opens with Amelia preparing her recorder as she on her way to interview her great-great aunt Frankie. She did the interview for the assignment from her creative writing teacher. Then we’ll get to know Frankie’s memories of her childhood and her young days.
This book is set in Chicago and a small town called Morgan’s hat, Tennessee. Since the story is based on Frankie’s memory, mainly it happened in 1920s until 1940s. The plot is not written in chronological order but there’s a date and place information in every start of the part. The information could be helpful but I read this book in my eReader and it’s kind of hard to remember the dates. I couldn’t flip the pages back and forth easily so I just followed the flow. 
Every chapter opens with a small narration of Frankie as she tried to reminisce her past. Sometimes it opens with a letter too. At the first few chapters of the book, it was difficult for me to grab the main point of the book. The chapters in this book felt like they were some random stories which happened in Morgan’s Hat and Chicago. But then, as I went through the book, they finally come together and I felt connected to the book.
At first I thought this book would be like those books which have several stories in it but sort of intertwined indirectly to each other, but it’s not. It revolves around Anna and Ernest. Actually there’s another important character too but I don’t want to spoil the story so I won’t mention it here. Anna is a naïve and determined woman. She’s an orphan but willing to improve herself so she could live better. Ernest is also a determined man who believes that he deserves to be more than just a guy living in a small town. He believes that he could be something more. He then decides to move to Chicago. That’s where Ernest meets Anna.
Oh to Grace has this calming and sweet feeling in it because the story happens in a small town and at the early 1900s where life was much simpler than now. I really enjoy reading this book except when there are dialogs where the characters involved speak using accent that make me think twice to get the meaning. Nevertheless, Oh to Grace is an enjoyable read.

“If I let it make me mad, then what good does it do to me? I’m luckier than most… I’ve learned that we don’t often get what we deserve—sometimes more and sometimes not all, but we get what we need.”
“Some couples get together under the most peculiar circumstances”



No comments :

Post a Comment