[Review] The Elephant Vanishes - Haruki Murakami

Title of Book:
The Elephant Vanishes
Author: Haruki Murakami
Translator: Alfred Birnbaum and Jay Rubin
Publisher: Vintage
Publication Year: 1994
Language: English
Format: Paperback
Pages: 336


In these stories, a man sees his favorite elephant vanish into thin air; a newlywed couple suffers attacks of hunger that drive them to hold up a McDonald’s in the middle of the night; and a young woman discovers that she has become irresistible to a little green monster who burrows up through her backyard. By turns haunting and hilarious, in The Elephant Vanishes Murakami crosses the border between separate realities—and comes back bearing remarkable treasures


-----------------------

The Elephant Vanishes is a short story collection by Haruki Murakami. It collects 17 short stories and one of them is titled the Elephant Vanishes. I’ve actually read some stories in this book such as the Second Bakery Attack and On Seeing the 100% Perfect Girl One Beautiful April Morning. Reading these stories the second time (third or fourth time for the Second Bakery Attack), I like these stories even more. Aside of that, of the 17 stories, my favorites are the Wind-Up Bird and Tuesday’s Women, Sleep, and the Last Lawn of the Afternoon.

The Wind-Up Bird and Tuesday’s Women is the first story presented in this book. I found out later on that this short is a variation of the first chapter of Murakami’s book, the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I haven’t read the book, but when I read the title my mind immediately went to that book. I suspected that this short story somehow has a connection to that book. What I like about this story is that it does not have something spectacular happening in it. It’s the mundanity of the story (mundane by Murakami’s standard of course). If you’ve read Murakami’s writing before, you’d know how weird his stories are. In this story, I feel like I was following an absurd day in a life of Murakami’s character. Although it seems like a normal day, the absurdity gives a nice little surprise here and there and I enjoy it.

Another story that I like is Sleep. I was quite surprised when I read it because it’s almost like Murakami was reading my mind when writing this story. Sleep is about a woman who suddenly has insomnia. It’s not the usual insomnia though, she just stop needing sleep. It’s funny because I always feel like I’m running out of time and I wonder what if we don’t have to sleep so our time which spent on sleep could be used to do anything else we want. This short story answers that. While I’m aware that it’s unhealthy, still, what if we’re biologically built to not needing sleep. Through this story I realize how much our time is spent for others or being a ‘responsible adult’. It’s exhausting and it could be mind-numbing at times. I envy the narrator who gets this time window spent for herself. Regardless of the sinister ending, I like this story the most.

While the Last Lawn of the Afternoon is the kind of story that makes you feel nostalgic. Again, the premise is so simple. It’s about a male student who works part-time as a lawn mower. He decided to quit the job because he didn’t really need the money anymore. This story follows the last lawn mowing job that he had to finish before he quit. I love the setting and the atmosphere of this story. It’s calming and melancholic at the same time. Both characters in this story are dealing with broken heart and grief. Each in their own way. I like how such a mundane activity as lawn mowing is what connecting these two and kind of distract them from their grief. I just love the vibe that this story gives.

Even though the stories I mentioned sound ‘normal’, there are also stories that are weird. For example in TV People, the narrator lives in a world where there are people who randomly put TVs in people’s houses and everyone else seem oblivious to them except for the narrator. Then there’s the story about a green monster who’ll physically melt down every time you send out negative thoughts to it. Also of course the stories about the elephant. What I admire from Murakami’s writing is, even with all the absurdity, he manages to normalize it in his books. When I read the book, there are times when I raised my eyebrow and questioned what was going on but after several sentences, I’d be okay with it. It’s so easy to acknowledge that I was entering this surreal world that Murakami build and I just had to accept it and enjoy the ride.

Beneath all the weird things he wrote, he often analyzes human’s nature and tendencies through his characters which cause me to analyze my own life. In most of his stories in this book, the narrators have no name. They are often meek and living an ordinary quiet live. They’re like your everyman character. Yet, they are good observers. This is how he dissects human characteristics in his stories.

Another thing I love about this book is it’s funny. I get the humor in this book. In some stories, although the characters don’t have names, they have similar characteristics and description. I don’t know if they’re the same character. Characters in several stories also seem like connected. Also not sure about that. Maybe they live in the same universe, maybe it’s coincidental. One name pops out though, Noboru Watanabe. It’s not confirmed if the Noboru mentioned in the stories refer to the same character but every time this name comes out, I chuckled and thought, you again! It becomes some sort of an inside joke and I love that.

All in all, I love the Elephant Vanishes. Usually with short story collection, there are stories that I enjoy, there are stories that I don’t. With this one, I like them all. True, it’s not for everyone. The writing can be vulgar so it’s not kid friendly. The stories can go over your head if you don’t know what to expect. Still, if you like surreal fiction and feel comfortable with a lot of weirdness thrown in, I highly recommend this book.


No comments :

Post a Comment