June 2022 Wrap-Up & Favorites

June Wrap-Up & Favorites
Source: personal collection

Hi fellow readers! I had a good reading month in June. I read all books that I planned to read and I found a show that I enjoyed watching although I ended up finishing it in just a day (lol). So, need to wait for another season. Anyway, here's the list of books I read in June.

Books read in June


Money: Vintage Minis Money: Vintage Minis - Yuval Noah Harari (★★★)
Money is a part of Penguin vintage minis collection which contains excerpt from Harari's books Sapiens and Homo Deus. While Sapiens tells the history of humankind, Homo Deus describes Harari's vision of the future of humankind. However, in this vintage minis the excerpt focuses on the examination of the economic aspect of humankind. Since I've read Sapiens, the part where Harari explains the origin of money system is nothing new to me. But if you really look for the history of money and our economic system, it's easier to read this book instead of the full book. While the excerpt from Homo Deus has a broader look on our economic system. Since it talks about the future, it discusses the possibility of the use of automation in our life which if I reflect in our current situation, it's already happening. Overall, if you've already read Harari's books Sapien and Homo Deus, I don't recommend this book for you because the content is the same. But if you haven't read those books and you're interested in some history of our money, you could try reading this book.
Sweet Bean Paste Sweet Bean Paste - Durian Sukegawa (★★★★)
Sweet Bean Paste tells a story of a dorayaki seller who made an unlikely bond with an elder woman with tragic past. It is a book that invites us to reevaluate our life and take a close look at how we live, our purpose in life. This book is a reminder for me to enjoy my life and take it easy one thing at a time. It's an unexpectedly moving tale that will stay with me. On a lighter note, I suggest you to prepare some desserts to eat while reading this book because this book made me crave for some dorayaki.
Brooklyn House Magician's Manual Brooklyn House Magician's Manual - Rick Riordan (★★★)
This book is the companion to Riordan's the Kane Chronicles series. Brooklyn House Magician's Manual is supposedly a book which can be used as a guide for young magicians who just join the Brooklyn House. It basically contains supplementary info regarding the world of Kane Chronicles. It gives short explanation of several Egyptian Gods and Goddesses who are also the characters in the series. Just like the main series, this book is fun and written as if it's written by the members of House of Life. You do need to read the main series before reading this one because it takes a lot of references from the main series. I'd say that this is such a fun supplementary book to the Kane Chronicles world.
The Midnight Library The Midnight Library - Matt Haig (★★★★)
I'm not sure if there's anything that I could tell you more about this book. This book was everywhere on the online book community when it was first released. I'm pretty sure you've heard of this book somewhere. In fact, I'm actually kind of late to jump on the bandwagon. Thanks to my sister I finally read this book and I'm glad I did. The Midnight Library is a book about second chance. This book offers a scenario where it's possible for people to get another chances at life and give another try at their regret. It's definitely an intriguing premise. I get quite an insight from this book. I recommend this book to read if you haven't already.
If Cats Disappeared from the World If Cats Disappeared from the World - Genki Kawamura (★★★★)
This is the book that I had no expectation whatsoever before reading it, but end up being the one which stay with me after. This book had me bawling my eyes out and a two-hour phone call with my family back at home. Why cat, you'd say? Apparently the cat is important to the narrator of this book because that's how he connects with his mother even after she's gone. When he got the news that he's dying, he's forced to look back on his relationship with his family and reconnect with his estranged father. If Cats Disappeared from the World will tug at your heart strings, I recommend this book to read.
The Awakening The Awakening - Kate Chopin (★★★)
The Awakening is a novella first published in 1899 which incited controversies during the publication. It brings up the subject of women's role in society and individual freedom. This novella is also considered as the early feminist read. Aside of the Awakening, the edition that I read also includes other four short stories revolving around the theme of gender and identity and opposition on societal norms. I wouldn't say that this book is an entertaining read but it does give me an insight on the issue.


June Favorites


Book

Sweet Bean Paste
The Midnight Library
If Cats Disappeared from the World

TV shows

Stranger Things

Season four of the show is finally released in June. It's divided into two volumes though and the second volume which contains two episodes is released at July 1st. By the time I post this review, I will have watched the two volumes. But from the first volume alone, I can tell that this season is the scariest and the most thrilling season of the show.

Abbott Elementary

Hilarious. The creator of the show is Quinta Brunson, whom I'm familiar with thanks to Buzzfeed. It uses the mockumentary format. It's like the Office sets in a public elementary school. I binge-watched the first season in a day because it's that addictive. I can't wait to watch the second season of the show.


Movies

Se7en

I've been meaning to watch this classic psychological thriller. I finally got the time for it and I understand why people recommend this film to watch. This film definitely has the most devastating and bleak ending but it's still a good film which I also recommend to watch

The Devil All the Time

When this film first came out on Netflix, people raved on how good this film is. Some people that I know also said that this film made them want to vomit. I can see why. It's bleak as heck. The narrative style, the tone and the theme remind me of another film which I can't remember. Watching it gave me the sense that I've watched similar kind of film before. Anyway, I enjoyed it. Thankfully it didn't make me want to vomit but it sure is depressing.

There you have it! Overall, I'm proud of myself that I manage to finish six books in June. Not to mention, the books I finished give me a lot of new perspectives on life. If you could see my favorite books in June all have the same theme. I'm looking forward to read a lot more books in July and share my thoughts on them here. Hope you have a wonderful month ahead!

No comments :

Post a Comment