September 2020 Wrap-Up & Favorites

September Wrap-Up & Favorites
Source: personal collection

Hello fellow reader! How are you? It's October already which means we're into the cozy and spooky season. However, I'm not going to talk about my plan in October but as usual I'm going to talk about what I read and my favorites in September. Without further ado, here are the books I read in September.

Books read in September


End of Days World After - Susan Ee (★★★)
World After is the second book in Penryn & the End of Days trilogy which is a young adult fantasy series. The series follows a girl named Penryn in a world where Angels 'invade' the earth and humanity must deal with the aftermath chaos. Since this is the second book, I won't write anything about the plot to avoid spoiler. This book starts off exactly right after the end of the first book. The relationship dynamic between Penryn and Raffe hasn't changed much. The angels' motivation to invade the earth still hasn't clearly revealed. However, there's a hint as to what's going on with the angels. Hopefully more would be revealed in the next book because it would be the last in the trilogy. If you've read the first book, I highly recommend reading this one considering the first book unveils almost nothing. The writing is easy to read. It's divided into many short chapters so you can read it in bits and pieces if you couldn't spend much time to read. I will definitely read the next book in the series.
End of Days End of Days - Susan Ee (★★★)
Since this book is the last in a series, I won't give any detail on the plot. I'll give my general thoughts on the series instead. After finishing the series, I'm sure that this is one of those 'don't-put-off-for-too-long' books. The series was on my TBR for more than 3 years. Had I read it when I was younger, perhaps I'd enjoy it more. Reading it now when I'm on my late 20s however, somehow it feels like reading children books. It's not a bad thing though, it's just not what I need to read at the time. People's preference changes overtime. The world building is a bit confusing, not all are explained clearly. In the first book I perceive the angels as superhuman beings but as we go through the end of the series they are written more like biblical beings. They remind me of the angels in the TV show Supernatural. I think that's the closest one that I could think of. The ending is not conclusive to me. There are some unresolved things, such as why the angels invade the earth in the first place or what really happened on the day they first came to the earth still left unexplained. Overall, I think one word to describe this series is half-hearted. At least that's what it feels like. I mean, Penryn is a fine character. Her dynamic with Raffe turns cheesy in the last book though. It's fun and point out some issues of what it means to be human but I feel like it hasn't reached its full potential. If you want to read it, you're welcome to it but I would tell you to not get your hopes up.

Review Posts in September

September Favorites


TV shows

Love Life

Source
I have an HBO Go subscription but never really use it except for watching The Sopranos and Veep. Then I got curious and browse the app to see what it has to offer. Love life attracted my attention mostly because of Anna Kendrick, but then I read the description and it intrigued me. It follows Darby (Anna Kendrick) as she sought love connection while navigating being a young adult living in a big city. The series only has 10 episodes with each episode follows Darby's relationship with different people in her life. I love that it sets in New York and I feel like I could relate to Darby. Although there are some aspects in her life that are so-not-me, I could totally relate to being a young woman in her 20s living in a big city far away from home. I only found out that the series is renewed for a second season. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Although I do love this series, I think the 10th episode is such a perfect end to the series. Maybe if the second season follows the love life of a different person, that would be more fitting.

So there you have it! my September wrap-up. Can you believe that the end of the year is only 3 months away. Time sure flies fast. I sincerely hope that you all stay safe and sane considering the pandemic hasn't gotten any better. Well in my part of the world it's even getting worse. Anyway, now that we're getting into the spooky season, do you have any specific tradition in October like watching horror movies or reading horror books? Hope you have a wonderful month ahead.

No comments :

Post a Comment