[Review] The Princess Bride - William Goldman

Title of Book: The Princess Bride
Author: William Goldman
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication Year: 1999
Language: English
Format: paperback
Pages: 399

Beautiful, flaxen-haired Buttercup has fallen for Westley, the farm boy, and when he departs to make his fortune, she vows never to love another. When she hears that his ship has been captured by the Dread Pirate Roberts - who never leaves survivors - her heart is broken. But her charms draw the attention of the relentless Prince Humberdinck who wants a wife and will go to any lengths to have Buttercup. So starts a fairy tale like no other, of fencing, fighting, torture, poison, true love, hate, revenge, giants, hunters, bad men, good men, beautifulest ladies, snakes, spiders, beasts, chases, escapes, lies, truths, passions and miracles.

-----------------------

The Princess Bride is a book that’s been adapted into a movie. The movie is so popular that I know about the movie before the book. I haven’t watched the movie yet but it’s reached the cult classic status that when I saw a copy of this book, I feel the need to read it. This book has a unique narrative. It’s a story within a story. On the outer layer, we have William Goldman, the author, telling us how he has a favorite book titled the Princess Bride which his father used to read to him. Wanting to share the experience with his child, he gifted the book to his son only to find out that his son didn’t like the book. Curious, he read the original copy of the book. It turns out all this time his father only read the exciting part. The original copy is long and more of a history book rather than a romance fairy tale book. So Golding has this idea to edit the book and publish an abridged version of it. That’s how we get this book.

Meanwhile, the Princess Bride itself tells a story of Buttercup, a young woman who falls in love with a farm boy named Westley. After they confessed to each other, Westley set off to sail to America to make a fortune and promise to come back and take Buttercup with him. However, after a few months Buttercup got news that Westley’s ship was hijacked by the Dread Pirate Roberts and left no survivors. Heartbroken, Buttercup tried to move on with her life and grew up to be the most beautiful woman in the realm. Her beauty attracted the attention of Prince Humperdinck. They then agreed to get married even without loving each other. However, a few days before the wedding day Buttercup was kidnapped and thus begins the tale of adventure, romance, and betrayal.

To be honest, I knew nothing about this book besides its reputation before I started reading it. I didn’t even know that it’s a story within a story. So I didn’t expect Goldman’s story on how he came to love the Princess Bride and his commentary on the original version. Perhaps that’s why I found his narration and commentary boring. I just want to get to the adventure and magic and romance because that’s what I expected. The last part of the book in which he included the first chapter of Buttercup’s Baby is also unnecessary in my opinion. This book could just end with the Princess Bride. Maybe extend it a little bit because the way Goldman ended the Princess Bride is weird.

Another thing that I want to point out is how weird and funny the Princess Bride is. It’s weirdly funny is what I mean. Not your usual humor I think but it’s still entertaining. I don’t know how to explain the humor to be honest. Goldman managed to turn me around from not liking the ‘villains’ or the kidnappers to actually root for them. I adore the four characters, Inigo, Fezzik, Buttercup, and Westley as a group. Individually though, I’m not particularly happy with Buttercup’s behaviour sometimes. Still, I enjoyed reading these four.

Overall, I like this book but not to a degree that I’ll reread it again I think. I’m interested in watching the movie though. After reading this book, I understand why many people love it. If you’ve watched the movie and love it, I suggest reading the book also because usually some things in the book are not included in the movie. Anyway, if you love fairy tale and romance I recommend this book. I suggest skipping Goldman’s backstory because it doesn’t affect the Princess Bride story; but if you want to read it that’s fine too.





No comments :

Post a Comment