July-August 2019 Wrap-Up & Favorites



Hello fellow readers! It's October already and we're getting nearer to the end of the year. October means autumn for the northern hemisphere of the world. Though it doesn't really affect me cause I only know two kinds of season here, I still want to enjoy the supposedly cozy season and maximize my reading enjoyment. I know it's way over due. The last three months, I was so busy and didn't get the chance to write a wrap-up post. I didn't even read anything in September. But I still want to sum up what I read because I finally read classic Batman comics in July! Here's the books I read in July and August.


Books read in July


Just One Year Just One Year - Gayle Forman(★★★)
Just One Year is a companion novel to Gayle Forman's Just One Day. It still follows the same character Allyson and Willem. This time, it focuses more on Willem and tells the story from Willem's side. Just One Year is Willem's journey on finding his roots and purpose in life. I've written a full review of this book which will be posted on this blog.
Just One Night Just One Night - Gayle Forman (★★★)
Just One Night is a novella which follows Allyson & Willem right after Just One Day and Just One Night. The ending of Just One Day is a bit of a cliffhanger and while Just One Year fills in some missing gap in Just One Day, it doesn't really tell us what happens afterwards. Just One Night is the answer to that. It chronicles Allyson & Willem's night after the ending of those two books. I won't say anything about the plot since it will spoil the previous books. All in all, Just One Night is a short but sweet conclusion to the Just One Day series.
Batman: Year One Batman: Year One - Frank Miller & David Mazzucchelli (★★★★)
Batman: Year One is one of Batman classics. It follows Bruce Wayne's first year as the caped crusader. In parallel, it also follows Gordon as he first became a part of Gotham City's police force. Fighting the corruption and mobster that's rooted in the city, they became acquainted and work together to protect the city. It's no wonder how Batman: Year One is considered as a classic. I've written a full review if you want to know more about my thoughts on this comic. However, if you haven't read Batman: Year One, I highly recommend it even if you don't usually read superheroes comics.
Batman: The Long Halloween Batman: The Long Halloween - Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale (★★★★)
The Long Halloween is a follow-up to Batman: Year One. A few months after Year One, Batman, Gordon alongside with District Attorney Harvey Dent work together to catch the mob family in hope of cleaning the city from corruption and crime. However, things become more complicated when the members of the mob families were murdered one by one every Holiday which dub the serial killer the Holiday killer. This graphic novel also marks the point in which Harvey Dent turns into Two-Face. The Long Halloween is a thrilling murder mystery which keeps you guessing who the real killer is. The Long Halloween is also one of the graphic novels which influence Nolan's The Dark Knight trilogy. If you love the movies, I recommend you to read this graphic novel. I've written a full review of The Long Halloween which will be up later on this blog.
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Frank Miller, Lynn Varley, & Klaus Janson (★★★★)
The Dark Knight Returns follows Bruce Wayne, aged and retired. Only after a gang of anarchy who called themselves the Mutant terrorize the town that Bruce was forced out of retirement. The Dark Knight Returns is a complex superhero comic that defies the stereotypical superhero comics at the time. Superhero is painted in a more humane way. Anyway, I've written a full review of this book if you want to check it out.

Books read in August


Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List - Rachel Cohn & David Levithan(★★)
Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List follows the friendship between Naomi and Ely. Their friendship fell apart when Ely kissed Naomi's boyfriend. This book is about how they overcome that. Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List is told from multiple perspectives including Naomi and Ely. Of all David Levithan's books that I read, this one is the least of my favorites. I wrote a full review of this book if you want to know more about my thoughts on this book.




July and August Favorites


Web Series

Run BTS

Source

Run BTS is a variety show starring BTS, the South Korean boy group. The show is streamed on vlive and can be watched for free. In each episode, the boys are challenged to compete in a game or finish a mission. The show is in Korean language (obviously), but there's an English subtitle available. Yes, it might seem that I'm falling down the BTS rabbit hole. Whether or not I'm an ARMY, I'd still watch the show cause these boys are hilarious. THe challenges and the missions are funny in the first place. I always find Korean or Japanese game shows funny and out of the box. I used to watch several game shows/ variety shows featuring Kpop idols anyway because it's just fun to watch. The fact that it's BTS is a plus to me. Seriously though, it's a nice show to watch to unwind after an exhausting day at work. I haven't caught up to the latest episode, but so far my recommended episodes are episode 5, 11, 20, 30, 31, 41, 47, and 48.

TV Series

The Umbrella Academy

Source

The Umbrella Academy is a web series adaptation of a comic series with the same name. The comic is created by Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba. If you feel familiar with the name Gerard Way, that's because he's the vocalist of My Chemical Romance. The Umbrella Academy follows a dysfunctional family of adopted siblings who have superpower. The death of their father force them to have a family reunion. At the reunion, their long lost brother returns from a time travel and brings news that apocalypse is coming. So they're trying to stop the apocalypse while dealing with family issues. The series features Ellen Page, Tom Hopper, Robert Sheehan, and Mary J. Blige to name a few. Honestly I didn't watch many superhero series except for Marvel. The last non-Marvel superhero series that I watched was so disappointing that I was hesitant to start this one. So I watched the pilot episode with low expectation. It turns out I love the tone and the overall vibe of the series. It's quirky without trying really hard. The characters have distinct personalities that make the audience care for them. My favorite is Sheehan's character, Klaus. He's a flamboyant junkie who has the ability to see ghosts. So far, only the first season has been released on Netflix.

Stranger Things

Source

Ever since the trailer of Stranger Things season 3 was released, I've been anticipating for the release of the latest season. Though every season of Stranger Things has always been a favorite of mine, this one breaks me. In this season, the gang is going through puberty. No more D&D, which is a downer for Will. New characters in the previous season are finally having their backgrounds explained. I binge-watched this season in just a few days. Anyway, I won't go into much detail because I don't want to spoil anything. After the ending of season 3, I can't wait to watch the next season which rumoured to be the final season of Stranger Things.

Breaking Bad

Source

I don't think I need to explain what the series is about. Breaking Bad is a critically acclaimed and highly popular show. The show actually has ended in 2013. Many of my friends have recommended this show to me. Now that I've watched it, I'm wondering why I didn't watch the show earlier because my God it's so good. So much thoughts put into writing this series. I definitely love the dynamic between Walt and Jesse. Each episode leaves you wanting more. I end up finishing all 5 seasons in just a week and a half. If you haven't watched this series, do it. I highly recommend it.

Movie

Spiderman: Far from Home

Source

After Avengers: Endgame, I need new Marvel movies in my life. Endgame is so heartbreaking that I'm glad Spiderman is a bit more light-hearted. True, even in this movie we're still being constantly reminded by what happened in Endgame. But at least Peter Parker's and Ned's shenanigan in Spiderman: Far from Home invites laugh here and there. Instead of a full-on superheroes movie, I'd say that Spiderman: Far from Home is more of a teenage comedy/drama movie which I love. If you don't watch superheroes movie, I still recommend this movie. However, if you haven't watched Avengers: Endgame, beware of the spoilers because after all this movie is in the Marvel Cinematic continuity and set after Endgame.

There you have it. My long overdue wrap up and favourite of July and August. I won't write a wrap up for September because I didn't finish any book in September. I was busy in a choir practising for an event. Anyway, I'm planning on getting back to reading in October especially since the cozy reading season is in full gear. What about you? Did you read any good book these past three months?

No comments :

Post a Comment