June-July 2018 Wrap-Up & Favorites

June-July Wrap-Up & Favorites
Source
Hello fellow readers! I know it's already in the middle of August, but I still want to post a wrap-up for June and July. Yes, I didn't post a wrap up for June because I didn't post any review that month. Actually, posting a wrap up is a way for me to document what books I read in those months. So, let's get into the books that I read in June then in July.


Books read in June


The Lives of Things The Lives of Things - Jose Saramago (★★★)
The Lives of Things is a collection of short stories written by the Nobel Prize-winning novelist Jose Saramago. This collection consists of six short stories. Apparently, Saramago is known for his allegorical writing which I wasn't aware of. I got confused when I read the first short story in this collection. So I picked the shortest story in this collection to read first then ease myself into his writing style. I've written a full review of this collection if you want to check it out.
Watchmen Watchmen - Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons (★★★★★)
Watchmen is always described as a classic graphic novel which redefines the superheroes genre. Based on that, this title has been on my wishlist for such a long time. I'm beyond grateful to finally get a copy of this book and read it. It didn't disappoint me. It's a fascinating and such a complex graphic novel. It got me thinking and I feel like if I read it again, I will get something new out f it. I've written a long review of this graphic novel if you want to check it out. I highly recommend this graphic novel.
The Light Between Oceans The Light Between Oceans - M.L. Stedman (★★★★)
The Light between Oceans is a historical fiction debut by M.L. Stedman. This book is about a couple Tom and Isabel Sherbourne who lived in an isolated island of Janus Rock because Tom work as the lighthouse keeper there. They were trying to have a family of their own but Isabel always had miscarriage when they tried to have a child. Until one day a boat carrying a baby and a dead man washed up onshore and they decided to keep the baby as their own. Thus began the conflict. The Light between Oceans is a beautiful and heartbreaking story. I've already written a full review of this book if which will be up later on this blog.
Dear Ijeawele Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (★★★★★)
Dear Ijeawele is a letter which Adichie wrote when one of her friends asked her how to raise a baby girl a feminist. Adichie's response is fifteen suggestions on how to raise a feminist. In this letter, Adichie mentions several good points to be considered. These are the things in our life that we often ignore because we tend to normalize them, when we should rethink about them. Adichie's writing is straightforward and funny. Although it's a short book, it's packed with important stuff. In my opinion, Dear Ijeawele is a book that everyone should read.

Books read in July


Dark Places Dark Places - Gillian Flynn (★★★★)
Dark Places is the only Gillian Flynn book that I haven't read. Since Flynn is one of my favorite authors, I expected to like this book and it turns out I do. As with Flynn's other books, Dark Places follows damaged character with dark and twisted past. The story is compelling and engrossing enough that it didn't take me long to finish it. I've already written a review post of this book if you want to check it out.
Lot no 249 Lot no 249 - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (★★★)
Lot no 249 is a part of Penguin's Little Black Classic series. It is a short story by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle which doesn't include his infamous character, Sherlock Holmes. I love Sherlock Holmes but I'm curious to read Doyle's other works beside Sherlock. So I picked this up. Lot no 249 is a short story about three men and a mummy. Honestly, a story about mummy is not something that I'd expect from Doyle. Probably because I'm used to his Sherlock Holmes stories in which there are always a logical explanation about everything. Interestingly enough, even though it is a story about a mummy, it's never explicitly stated that the mummy did it. There are only subtle hints and signs that an actual mummy did the crime. It kind of begs the question was the mummy reanimated and did the horrible stuffs? Or was it just the paranoid mind of the main character. The ending is a bit disappointing though. It's like Doyle chose the easiest path to end it and that's it. Still, if you're looking for a different work by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle you could try and pick this up.
Through the Woods Through the Woods - Emily Carroll (★★★★★)
Through the Woods is a collection of short stories in the form of graphic novel. It has five creepy stories revolved around the woods. I initially thought that this book wouldn't be so frightening. It is. These stories filled me with dread that I chose to read it on the daylight. The illustrations are spooky but beautiful. Though it scares me, I still feel that this graphic novel needs to be longer. This is the definitely the kind of book that I will get back to again. I recommend this graphic novel.
The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures - Aaron Mahnke (★★★)
The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures is a part of the world of Lore, a franchise which started from a podcast titled Lore. The podcast tells folklores from around the world and the dark history surrounds them. Monstrous Creatures is the first book in the series which collects folklores about mythical creatures such as vampires and werewolves. It's a fascinating book if you're interested in such things. I've written a full review of this book if you want to check it out.
The English Patient The English Patient - Michael Ondaatje (★★★★)
The English Patient is one of the book that I've been meaning to read for such a long time. It's such a beloved book that it becomes the winner of Golden Man Booker. The English Patient follows four people as they took shelter in an abandoned villa in Italy. Set in 1945, it dissects the effect of war and how it can haunt people. I've written a full review of this book which will be up later.


June Favorites


Books
 
Watchmen

July Favorites


Books

Dark Places

TV Shows

Younger

Source
Younger has been aired for a while. In fact, it's still on air. I know it's about book lovers and now that I've watched it, I'm kind of surprised why I didn't watch it sooner. It's about a recently divorced 40-ish years old mom who has difficulty looking for a job so she created a new identity in which she's 27 years old. She lands a job in a publishing company called Empirical as an assistant. The only one who knows about her double identities is her best friend Maggie. Since the main character works in a publishing company, . Somehow, watching this show motivates me to read more which is a good thing. It's a fun show to watch and certainly recommended for book lovers.

There you have it! I read a total of 9 books in June and July. Maybe the OWL readathon helped me to keep motivated. I've written and posted a separate post about the readathon. I also found a new favorite show called Younger. I'm still hooked on Grey's Anatomy, but at least I can balance all the drama and sadness with Younger. Overall, it's been a fun month. Do you have a newfound favorite too?

No comments :

Post a Comment