October 2016 Wrap-Up & Favorites

Source

It’s October, which means Halloween! Unfortunately I didn’t read any horror or creepy books. I didn’t watch horror movies. This one is simply because I’m too afraid to watch horror movies. But I watched some episodes of The Twilight Zone! The original one, of course. So that counts, doesn’t it? Anyway, on October I read 3 books and one graphic novel. Here’s what I read in October.


Books read in October


The Sky is Everywhere The Sky is Everywhere – Jandy Nelson (★★★)
The Sky is Everywhere is Jandy Nelson’s debut novel. I’ve read I’ll Give You the Sun by her and love it. So I had a bit of high expectation for this book. I prefer I’ll Give You the Sun to this book. I’ve already posted a full review of The Sky is Everywhere so I won’t talk about it more in this wrap-up.
In Real Life In Real Life – Cory Doctorow & Jen Wang (★★★★)
In Real Life is a graphic novel about an online gamer girl. This graphic novel had so much hype when it first came out. It’s been on my TBR for quite some time. I’m glad that I finally read it. It talks about interesting issue, but it’s so easy to read. It’s fun to read too, because they use bright color scheme. Anyway, my full review of this graphic novel will be up early in November.
some_text #girlboss – Sophia Amoruso (★★★★)
#girlboss is a memoir by Sophia Amoruso, the founder and CEO of Nasty Gal. Nasty Gal is considered as the fastest growing retailer in 2012 and to know that it’s founded and managed by a woman excited me. This book is inspiring and easy to read. I’ve written a full review of this book which will be posted in November. I recommend this book.
some_text Ruby Red – Kerstin Gier (★★★★)
Ruby Red is the first book in the Precious Stone trilogy. It’s a series about time travel and a secret society. It was fun and set in Europe, which I haven’t read a lot lately. I’ve written a full review of this book. So stay tuned for that.



October Favorites


Books

#girlboss by Sophia Amoruso

TV shows

Marvel’s Daredevil

Daredevil
Source
So I’m still on Marvel kick on October. I watched Daredevil Season 1 and Jessica Jones but my favorite one is Daredevil. First of all, because I’ve read his origin story and he intrigues me. Second, because Charlie Cox is Matt Murdock. Not only because he’s good looking (that always helps), but also because of his acting. He acts as an American blind man. I use the word American here because he manages to get rid of his British accent while acting as Matt Murdock. I like listening to him talking with his British accent, but his American accent is convincing. His Matt Murdock is just adorable. I might be biased here, but whatever. Haha.

Miscellaneous

Big Bad Wolf

BBW
Source
Yes! Big Bad Wolf (BBW) is a book fair for imported books. Imported books are usually expensive and a bit hard to get in my country or specifically, city. But at BBW, we can get hardback books for Rp 70.000 or about $5-$6 and paperback books for Rp 60.000 or about $4-$5. Moreover, they have big selections. Usually, if I want to buy some titles I have to order them online first and they could take months to arrive. Bottom line, this event is the highlight of October for me. I manage to completely ignore my #projectfive and acquired a total of 17 books. That’s the biggest amount of books that I’ve ever purchased in one month. But boy, it was so satisfying because I can finally check off some books on my wish list. I sincerely hope they will hold this event in my city again next year.

There you have it, My October wrap-up and favorites! I know I don’t have any exciting favorite in October (besides BBW). Do you perhaps have a good book/movie/TV show recommendations?

No comments :

Post a Comment