July 2026 Wrap-Up & Favorites

July Wrap-Up & Favorites
Source: personal collection

Hi fellow readers! We're in the second half of the year now. I'm still on my Ghibli Side Quest so expect to see their films on my wrap-up. In July, I finished a book which I unexpectedly enjoy. Without further ado, here's the list of books I read in July.
   
Beauty Beauty - Andy Warhol (★★★)
This penguin archive collects five essays from The Philosophy of Andy Warhol. The essays are Love (Senility), Beauty, Work, Time, and Atmosphere. The only thing that I know about Andy Warhol is his work his Campbell's Soup Cans and Marilyn. I don't know his personality or his views. I assumed he's flamboyant like the artist stereotype. His essays are not what I expected. I feel like he is a nonchalant person. His essays more like his ramblings. At first I thought the title was the theme or the topic of his essay. When I read it, I feel like his essay more like his monologue when you ask question such as 'what do you think about Love? and Beauty?'. Personally, I think his thoughts are interesting and unexpected. I'm considering reading the full book.
Only Dull People Are Brilliant at Breakfast Only Dull People Are Brilliant at Breakfast - Oscar Wilde (★★★)
The text collected in this Little Black Classics is taken from Nothing . . . Except My Genius: The Wit and Wisdom of Oscar Wilde. It's like a mini version of the book. It is a collection of Wilde's wit and wisdom which I didn't expect before. His only work that I recognize is The Picture of Dorian Gray which make me assume that he's a serious person. This mini collection proves that he's an amusing person. I enjoy reading his funny remarks and interesting views on many things. I learned more about him as a person and his life too, such as I didn't know that he was once incarcerated. Reading this book tempt me to read his other works too. I highly recommend reading this one.
The Death of Ivan Ilyich The Death of Ivan Ilyich - Leo Tolstoy (★★★★)
This little black classic contains one novella and one short story. Although there is death in the title of the novella, It actually tells the life of Ivan Ilyich, an ambitious and succesful high-court judge. As he was dying from a terminal illness, he contemplates the way he lived and whether he had lived an autenthic life. He looked at his choices and how he prioritized his career, status, and material possession. Reading this scares me actually. Only because he's dying, faced with his mortality, that he finally take a deep look at his life and realised that he didn't live the life that he wanted. By the time he realised that, it's already too late. What if that happened to me. I guess this novella makes me realize that at times we do need to take a step back and evaluate our whole life. As I grow older, I also realize that how I want to life my life matters the most to me because I'm the one who's living it, not everyone else. The Death of Ivan Ilyich serves as a wake-up call for me in a way. Unfortunately, this novella is too powerful that the second one in this book, Three Deaths, doesn't leave that much of an impression on me. However, I still highly recommend this little black classics to read.

July Favorites


Films

Ocean Waves
It's a rewatch and from what I remember, I didn't really like this film. The characters are annoying and the story is so simple it bored me. The second time I watched this, somehow I had a refreshed mind and the ending touched me. Perhaps because not log ago I wacthed the live action version of 5cm per Second and somehow when I got to the point where the narrator narrated back to the present time when they were all grown up, my mind immediately compared the two. Ocean Waves ending is hopeful for the main couple which delighted me.

Whisper of the Heart
Whisper of the Heart is also a rewatch for me. Again, I didn't remember it being this cute and uplifting. I envy the characters in this film, honestly. For someone so young, they already know what they want to do, which actually the whole premise and the characters' journey in this film. The romance is so cute, the soundtrack is beautiful. The ending is so wholesome I love it. Mind you this one is not a fantasy though it might seem that way. Overall, I think this film is exactly what I needed I highly recommend this one.

The Odyssey
I was surprised at first when I learned that Nolan's next film would be an adaptation of a Greek epic. I personally think that it diverts from his previous films. What I'm not surprised is the duration of the film. I'm familiar with the source material although I've never really read it in full form but I know that it's a packed story. Although, I treat it as a different story altogether. So I came with an open mind and without bias from the epic poem. I did enjoy the viewing experience. What I love about this film is, the more I learn about this film's behind the scenes, the more I appreciate Nolan's creative choices. All in all, it doesn't disappoint.

Princess Mononoke
This one is another rewatch. I love this film the first time I watched it and still love it the second time. Princess Mononoke is up there on my list. If you love Nausicaa, I think you'll love this one and it works both way whichever you watch first. The difference is, San took more aggresive approach than Nausicaa. However, the star here is not only San but also Prince Ashitaka. One scene that I will always remember is how he tried to mediate the conflict between San and Eboshi. It's one of those animation films which is ahead of its time. Many scenes from this film etched in my core memory. I got chills watching this film. Another one of Ghibli's that I highly recommend to watch.


There you have it! I hope you had a great July. I'm going to look at the next half of the year optimistically. I think I will be able to finish my Ghibli side quest in August. Wish me luck!

No comments :

Post a Comment