May-June 2024 Wrap-Up & Favorites

May-June Wrap-Up & Favorites
Source: personal collection

Hello fellow reader! We're back to another episode of me neglecting my wrap-up post so I have to catch up by compressing several months into one post! In my defense, I traveled for two weeks in May and June has always been hell month at work. In my defense, I didn't read or watch much anyway so I don't have much to write. Let's just say I was busy living life and being an adult like how I'm expected to *big sigh*.

Books read in May


The Rainbow The Rainbow - Yasunari Kawabata (★★★)
Yasunari Kawabata is one of Japan renowned writers. In 1968, he received Nobel Prize in Literature; the first from Japan. The Rainbow was first published in Japan in 1951. It's just recently been translated into English. This book is set a few years after World War II. It follows Mizuhara, an architect, and his family. Mizuhara's family has quiet complicated background. He lived with his two daughters, each came from different mothers. The oldest, Momoko, is traumatized by the death of her mother and her lover. While Asako, younger than Momoko, is the sensitive and idealistic one. This book starts with Asako, travelling by train to Kyoto to find the youngest daughter; also from different mother. It then follows the family as they're navigating living in an ever-changing country especially after the war. When I first learn Mizuhara's family situation, I was surprised at how casual the daughters react to the fact that they have another sister. The book itself is slow-paced and nothing really happened. It's literally about the Mizuharas lives season after season throughout the year. I was a bit bored while reading this book. However, the description of Japanese scenery and architecture in this book is beautiful. That's what draw me to continue and finish this book actually. If you're not into slow-paced books, The Rainbow might not be for you. I'm still interested in reading Yasunari Kawabata's other books though.

May-June Favorites


Miscellaneous

France-Italy Trip

Source: personal collection

It's been a long time coming. I've been planning this trip since last year. There were times when I almost give up because just preparing the Schengen visa application with my passport is complicated and quite tedious. Also, because my friends and I do not use travel agent for this trip, there are a lot to be prepared such as tickets to book, tours to reserve, accommodation to book, places to research, and schedule to plan. Not to mention, the euro exchange rate is high. So pre-trip preparation takes a lot of work. But, it's all worth it. I'm so so grateful that I got to plan and experience all that with a friend whom I can really connect with. Visiting Italy is one of my lifelong dream and I'm so happy that I finally can check that one off my list. Though, after experiencing the country, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of visiting again; especially France. There are a lot of places on my mind which I haven't visited yet. Being in these two country was just wonderful. Aside of the fact that I didn't have to think about work, I can fully immersed myself in the art, culture, and the history. It was so inspiring. Now I have another dream, which is to spend a month living there and focus myself to study art or fashion (or even baking, hello France!).

There you have it! Looking back, it's kind of funny thinking about these two months because I experienced two contrasting feeling through these months. Excitement and joy in May, then hell and despair in June. I'm just glad that it's all over but still feeling inspired that I have another excitement to plan on realizing the next dream on my list.

No comments :

Post a Comment