January 2023 Wrap-Up & Favorites

January Wrap-Up & Favorites
Source: personal collection

Hello fellow readers! I welcome the year of 2023 with horror manga to prepare me for the horror that I'd face in real life, back to work from office, no more remote working. All jokes aside, the reason why I finally read Junji Ito's manga is because in January I spend a whole week at home with my mom and sister. I won't be alone when I read those mangas and that gives me courage. Silly, I know but I'm not one who read or watch horror for sport. Anyway, here's the list of books I read in January.

Books read in January


Ito Junji: Best Of Best Short Story Collection Ito Junji: Best Of Best Short Story Collection - Junji Ito (★★★★)
This manga collects several Junji Ito's short stories and illustrations. I first stumbled upon one of Junji Ito's short stories on the internet. It left such an impression on me. The story's title is the Enigma of Amigara Fault. It still haunts me. Guess what? The story is also included in this collection. I figured, if Junji Ito's other stories were going to haunt me like the Enigma, I might as well picked this collection up. Some of the stories are Ito's manga adaptation of other writer's stories. Though the stories are already creepy, Ito's illustration makes it even creepier. If you're into the unsettling kind of horror and/or body horror. Please read Junji Ito's manga.
Uzumaki Uzumaki - Junji Ito (★★★★)
This manga revolves around two high school students, Goshima Kirie and Saito Shuichi, who live in a small village which was under the spiral curse. Spiral curse? what is that? sounds weird, doesn't it. It is weird and creepy. Basically, everyone who got the curse in the village are obsessed with spiral, any kind of spiral. It started with Saito's father, who's obsessed with spiraled objects. Then his obsession grew to the weird direction, to the point that he's trying to turn his whole body into a spiral. After that, weird things related to spiral happened more frequently. It sounds absurd but it doesn't lessen the scariness of this manga. I'm telling you, if you're into that kind of horror, you would want to read this manga.


January Favorites


Anime

Tomo-Chan is a Girl
I was in the mood for a light, short, and funny film/series to watch. I've been seeing clips of this anime on my Instagram explore page. The clips are funny and the premise sounds silly which is exactly what I need. I live for comedy where the characters misunderstood the point and causing chaos. This anime is still ongoing so it's become one of the thing that I anticipate of every week.

Series

Gannibal
I'll be honest. What attracts me to this Japanese drama is Yuya Yagira because he is FINE. Then I read the premise and it intrigued me. The title gives a hint of what's to come, but no further detail. This series is so atmospheric. The opening credit, the setting and the soundtrack are creepy. The fact that we know almost nothing about the situation that our lead is in, is frightening. If you like horror-mystery drama, I highly recommend this drama.

This year, I'm trying to post my wrap-up and favorites on time. At least I manage to post January wrap-up before February ends in 2023. I'm going to call this a success. I considered posting my to-be-read but since I'm going to be fully back at the office, I reckon I will be too tired to read by the time I get home; which means most likely I won't achieve my TBR target. I don't want to put that kind of pressure to myself. I still have a target to finish those tomes that have been sitting on my shelf for the longest time. Let's see how I'll do. How was your January? Did you read a good book or watch a film that you'd recommend to read?

No comments :

Post a Comment