November 2021 Wrap-Up & Favorites

November Wrap-Up & Favorites
Source: personal collection

Hi fellow readers! So we almost reach the end of the year. I finish another book series that I've been meaning to read for a while. I'm aiming to finish another series by the end of the year though it seems unlikely. At least I think I'll finish the first book. Anyway, here's the recap of what I read in November.

Books read in November


PS I Still Love You P.S. I Still Love You - Jenny Han (★★★)
This book is the continuation of To All the Boys I've Loved Before. Because of that, I won't talk much about the plot but this book still follows Lara Jean and her love adventures during her high school year. While the first book involves the Song sisters and their relationship, this one focuses more on Lara Jean. She opens herself to high school experience which I adore because I root for her. In some ways, I could relate to Lara Jean because more or less she has the same personalities with me. We're both prefer quiet and cozy and we dread change. So seeing her spreading her wings excited me. If you've read the first book and enjoy Lara Jean's story, I recommend to continue reading the series. Also, Lara Jean made me crave for sweet baked goods so maybe prepare some cookies or pastries to accompany your reading time.
Always and Forever, Lara Jean Always and Forever, Lara Jean - Jenny Han (★★★)
We've come to the conclusion of the To All the Boys I've Loved Before series. In this book, Lara Jean and Peter are in their senior year of high school so the conflict mostly is about them maintaining their relationship while navigating through change as a newly high school graduate. There's the college acceptance and prom, which is what expected in a story about senior year students. Since it's the last book in the series, I think this book wraps it up quite nicely. Although this book still has some cliches, the way the characters handle the conflict is acceptable for me. I don't want to spoil anything here, but overall I did enjoy reading the entire series. I can see why people love the series. Even though the first book has a bit of shaky start with me, the next keeps getting better which is a good thing for a book series. If you're looking for some heartfelt contemporary romance series, I recommend you to check this one out.
Reinventing Your Life Reinventing Your Life: The Breakthrough Program to End Negative Behavior...and Feel Great Again - Jeffrey E. Young, Janet S. Klosko, Aaron T. Beck (★★★★)
I'm not one to read self-help books. I'm gonna be honest here, I first know about this book from BTS. Yep, you read that right. But I was actually intrigued by this book when I learned that in this book, the authors define common 'problems' in life as lifetraps which then specifically interpreted into eleven life traps. What I like about this book is they explain each lifetrap concisely. They include examples, step-by-step to overcome it, and questionnaire for us to fill in. Although personally I don't think you can overcome your lifetraps just by reading this book, I still think this book can be a good first step towards the betterment of your life. I'm genuinely surprised that I can actually help myself by reading this book because I used to be so skeptical of self-help book. Before picking up this book I'm going to give you a warning though. Savor it. Reading this book can be exhausting. It could bring up many repressed feelings and traumas so take it easy.

November Favorites


TV shows

Desperate Housewives


This title just recently added to Disney+. After spending a month binging on Devious Maid, I need another show with similar vibe. So I checked this show out. It's such an entertaining show. Funny thing is, back when this show was aired on TV, one of my friends like the show very much. I used to make fun of her because why would a high school student like watching a show called Desperate Housewives (we were in high school, btw). Jokes on me because I love the show now. I get why she likes the show, it's funny and in some way I could relate to the life in suburb. My friend's parents and my parents' houses are in the same neighborhood by the way. So yes, I get it. Aside of the drama, this show also has some crime-mystery thrown in it so overall, I think this show is one worth to try checking.

The Morning Show


If you follow this blog, you'll know that The Newsroom is one of my favorite shows of all time. I even featured it in one of my monthly favorites. Ever since I finished watching the show, I've been looking for similar shows that would fill the void which The Newsroom left behind. Lo and behold I finally found it! The Morning Show revolves around a news show that's broadcast during breakfast time which called (of course) The Morning Show. It shows a bit of behind the scene of morning television show and it stars Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon. Although compared to The Newsroom, this show has different tone. While The Newsroom often discusses heavy subjects such as American politics, it's presented in a brighter and hopeful tone. The Morning Show has darker undertone and it discusses the #MeToo movement which I think is timely. Both the shows reveal the reality of television journalism which I'm interested in and that's why I'm drawn to this show. If it sounds intriguing to you, you might want to check this show out. This show is available to stream on AppleTv.

Movies

Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings


I know I'm kind of late on this but I had to wait until the film is available to stream on Disney+ to watch it. Even though they start re-opening film theaters in my city, my mother still feels uncomfortable with me spending 2 hours inside a closed space with strangers because of Covid. Still, however late I am I still enjoy the film very much. Oh my God this film is different from other Marvel films which I find refreshing. It's a martial arts film but not really. It's a fantasy film but not really. It's its own thing. I enjoy the beautiful and exciting fighting scenes. I also enjoy the humor. Last but not least, Tony Leung. My God! Of all the villains in MCU, there are two that I sympathize with, Killmonger and Wenwu. I understand Tony Leung's appeal now. I delightfully watched his fighting scenes and his portrayal of the character. It's such ashamed what happen to his character in the end though because I can watch him as Wenwu all day.


There you have it! One more wrap-up post left for 2021. Lately, I've been hooked on Japanese dramas. Movies and series, you name it. I discovered some cute titles that are fun to watch. I also discovered (and rediscovered) some good-looking talented Japanese actors which makes me EVEN more excited to watch Japanese movies. Maybe I'll share some titles I watched in next month's wrap-up post. What about you? How was your November? Hope you have a good December!

No comments :

Post a Comment