[Review] Batman: Year One - Frank Miller & David Mazzucchelli

Title: Batman: Year One
Writer: Frank Miller
Illustrator: David Mazzucchelli
Publisher: DC Comics
Publication year: 2005
Language: English
Pages: 144


Batman is one of my favorite superheroes of all time. Long before Marvel’s characters become popular because of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Reading and collecting Batman comics have been my dream but I often feel intimidated to start because I didn’t know which one that is worth to read and collect. Batman: Year One is not my first Batman comic. I’ve read Batman: The Killing Joke and love it. That’s why I decided to continue my exploration of Batman comics. Batman: Year One comes up a lot when I researched about Batman. Alongside with The Dark Knight Returns, this comic is considered as a classic.

Aside of Bruce Wayne’s story as Batman, Batman: Year One is as much of Jim Gordon’s story. It covers Bruce Wayne’s first year as Batman and Jim Gordon’s experience starting out in Gotham’s police force. Bruce Wayne just returned from his world travels while Gordon was just transferred from Chicago to Gotham. In a way, both are new to Gotham which is filled with crime and corruption at the time. The police commissioner and most of the police force are owned by the mob. As new personnel, Gordon is trying not to get swept into the corruption that has deeply rooted in the force. Of course, as a result, Gordon became the least favorite in the force. He even got beaten by his colleague one time for trying to ‘rock the boat’. Nevertheless, Gordon still tries to be a good cop until the end.

In his first year being a vigilante hero, Bruce Wayne was not as established as the Batman that we know now. In this comic, not once Bruce beaten, bruised, and came close to death. He’s even almost exposed and being caught by the police. It’s also in this comic that Bruce decided which line to be drawn and how much violence that he’s willing to do in his mission to clean and protect the city. Although at the beginning Bruce and Gordon were started out far apart, in the end they work together to protect Gotham city.

What I love about this comic is how realistic it is; at least as realistic as a comic about vigilante heroes can be. It doesn’t need a super powered villain to show how dark and scary Gotham city is. The city itself plays a main role in this comic. The atmosphere and how they depict the city in this comic also contribute in rendering how dark Batman universe is. The notable villain that makes appearance in this comic is Carmine ‘the Roman’ Falcone who is a powerful leader of a mafia in Gotham city. Falcone is not a super powered human; his power simply comes from money and connection. Yet, he proves to be one of the most stubborn villain Batman has ever faced. Batman: Year One reminds me a lot of Daredevil: The Man without Fear which is another comic by Miller that I read previously. 

Reading Batman: Year One makes me want to re-watch Nolan’s Batman Begins. I can see how much influence this comic has on Batman Begins. I can also see how Batman: Year One becomes a classic Batman comic. Reading this comic is such a fun and thrilling experience. It surprised me how short this comic, but it still can pack a dense story. All in all, I highly recommend this comic even if you don’t read superheroes comics. Don’t worry about continuity because it can be read on its own. Batman: Year One definitely has become my favorite after The Killing Joke.


No comments :

Post a Comment