October 2019 Wrap-Up & Favorites

October Wrap-Up & Favorites
Source

Hi fellow readers! I honestly can't believe the year is ending and we only have two months left. Usually, this is the time when I start panicking for not achieving my Goodreads yearly target. But I'm not doing that this year. No, it's not because I've reached my goal. I still haven't reached my Goodreads goal (not surprised at all, lol). But this year I decided to not stress myself because I read for fun. When it stops being fun, then that's when I have to stop, sit back, and re-evaluate. However, I did read a lot in October and that makes me happy. So here's the books I read in October.


Books read in October


New York City in 1979 New York City in 1979 - Kathy Acker (★★★)
New York City in 1979 is a part of Penguin modern series. This mini book consists of proses and photographs which capture New York City in 1979. There's no cohesive storyline aside of a character named Janey who appears several times. The writing itself is quite vulgar. Since this is my first time reading Kathy Acker's work, I did a bit of research on her writing style and her background so I wasn't surprised by her writing style. I've always been fascinated with New York City which often dubbed as the city that never sleeps. That is the reason why I picked this up. I must say though, she does a great job in illustrating the intended ambience of Big Apple in 1979. It almost feels like I was sucked in to the era. I think this mini book is a good introduction to Kathy Acker's works.
Sing, Unburied, Sing Sing, Unburied, Sing - Jesmyn Ward (★★★★)
Sing, Unburied, Sing tells a story of a broken family in the Mississippi area. Jojo is a 13 year old with a drug addict mother and a 3 year old sister. His father was in jail and scheduled to be released soon. So his mother Leonie took him and his sister on a road trip to pick up his father. The book basically covers the whole road trip and the relationship between the members of the family. Sing, Unburied, Sing has a difficult topic and quite uncomfortable to read. The whole road trip gave me anxiety. Still, the writing is actually beautiful and easy to understand. If you want to know more about my thoughts on this book, I've written a full review which will be up on this blog.
The Green Mile The Green Mile - Stephen King (★★★★)
This book has been on my shelf for years. I've been saving it up for October because I feel like it would fit the theme of the month. The Green Mile is more than a spooky read. The title refers to the colour of death row cell block's linoleum floor in Cold Mountain Penitentiary. This book revolves around the inmates and the guard of said cell block. It's touching and thought provoking. I'm glad I finally read it and I recommend this book. I've written a full review of this book which will be up later on this blog.
Good Omens Good Omens - Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman (★★★)
Good Omens is a comedic fantasy book written by two infamous writers, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. This book is about an angel and a demon who work together to prevent the apocalypse. However, someone misplaced the Antichrist so they have to figure out where the Antichrist is if they want to stop the Armageddon. The premise might sound ridiculous which I think they did it purposefully. After all, it's a comedy. It's definitely a fun read. It's full of British humour which always been a hit or miss to me. Still, if it sounds like it's right up your alley, try picking it up. I've also written a full review of this book which will be up later on this blog.
Why I Am Not Going to Buy A Computer Why I Am Not Going to Buy A Computer - Wendell Berry (★★)
I picked this mini Penguin modern because of the title. I study computer science and I work in the industry so I'm interested to see what this book is about. This mini book consists of two essays with one being on why Berry doesn't want to buy a computer and the second essay titled Feminism, the Body, and the Machine. Honestly, I'm disappointed by this book. Reading this book is basically like reading a post on a social media. You see, in the first essay, they also include several letters from his readers as response to the essay. The second essay is actually his response to the letters. Some of the letters sound mean. Though I understand where it comes from, I don't appreciate the way they delivered it and the response Berry gave. It feels like reading a post and the comments on social media. Overall, I don't recommend it.

Review Posts in October


October Favorites


Book

The Green Mile

There you have it! I don't celebrate Halloween so nothing exciting happening to me. What about you? Did you celebrate Halloween? Did you go trick or treating? or just spending the night being cozy at home and read?

No comments :

Post a Comment