[Review] Sisters - Danielle Steel

Title of Book: Sisters
Author: Danielle Steel
Publisher: Corgi Books
Publication Year: 2008
Language: English
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Pages: 511


Four New York sisters are brought together to pick up the pieces after a family tragedy. 
Candy is blazing her way as an international supermodel . . . Her sister, Tammy, has a L.A. job producing the most successful hit show on TV. . . In New York, oldest sister Sabrina is an ambitious young lawyer, while Annie is an American artist in Florence . . . On one Fourth of July, the four sisters return home for their family’s annual gathering. But before the holiday is over, tragedy strikes and their world is utterly changed.
The sisters must come together to support each other with the kind of honesty and unconditional love only sisters can provide.



Sisters is a book about four sisters with different personalities. The oldest sister, Sabrina, is a lawyer who lives in New York. The second oldest, Tammy, is a successful producer of a hit TV show who lives in LA. The third sister, Annie, is a painter who lives in Florence. While the last child, Candice ‘Candy’, is a supermodel. Although they live in different parts the world, they always be at the same place every holiday. Their lovely home in Connecticut with their lovely mother and father waiting to spend the holiday with them. One fourth of July, something tragic happened to this happy family which turn their life upside down. So they try to overcome the tragedy with the help and support from each other.
Danielle Steel is a famous author, but this is the first book by her that I read. I didn’t really know what type of stories Steel usually write. I just assumed that this book was a chicklit with a heavy family theme. And it is. Though I do know what to expect, I believe that this book is … ‘safe’. Everything seems so perfect and unrealistic. Yes, there are some difficulties and conflicts in this book. Somehow, Steel makes it too easy to solve. Honestly, when I was reading this book, it wasn’t as predictable as I thought. But that only because I didn’t predict that this book and its characters would be too easy to read.
Sisters is a big book for a chicklit novel. This book has 500-ish pages which actually a little too many in my opinion. Sisters could be shorter if only Steel didn’t tell the readers over and over how hard the tragedy has been and the impact of the tragedy to the characters’ lives. I get it, they might be at their lowest point. So work together and solve it. Stop telling me, the reader, that you just had a tragedy. I knew it, I read it.
My other problem with this book is the pacing. The first few chapters of this book are soooo slow. Especially with some repetition which makes me kind of want to yell and skip it. Then the story picks up and get more interesting. After that it became slow again. I think that this book went slow after the characters have conflicts. Also, the ending feels rushed. Like there’s only a few pages left but they need to wrap everything up.
In the end, I’m not sure if I would read Steel’s other books. Maybe her books are not my cup of tea. Despite the flaws, I still appreciate it that Steel takes sisterhood and family value as themes for this book. If you’re a first Steel’s reader like me, it looks like this book is not a good start. But if you’re a fan of Steel’s works, maybe you’ll still want to read it anyway. 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment