[Review] The Walking Dead Vol 16 - 18

Title: The Walking Dead Vol 16: A Larger World
Issues: #91-#96
Writer: Robert Kirkman
Illustrator: Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn
Publisher: Image Comics
Publication year: 2012
Language: English
Pages: 136
Rating: 4/5



A Larger World is probably the most exciting volume by far. It took a lot of twist and turn for Rick and his group to finally settle in Alexandria. Turns out, there are other communities of survivors out there. Of course Rick would do a lot of cautious fact checking before getting excited himself. But imagine the possibilities that they can achieve with these new people! Though Kirkman definitely won’t make it easy for them. I’m pretty sure there will be obstacles which come in the form of humans, I mean bad people, not the undead. But it still sounds good. At least there’s hope for these people. I need to read more to see where the story goes.



Title: The Walking Dead Vol 17: Something to Fear
Issues: #97-#102
Writer: Robert Kirkman
Illustrator: Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn
Publisher: Image Comics
Publication year: 2012
Language: English
Pages: 132
Rating: 4/5



I’ve been warned that there will be a character that’s meaner than the governor. I didn’t believe it at the time. The governor is a scary man and plain evil. Turns out, he’s not the only one. At the previous volume, we learn that there’s a group called ‘the savior’ who’s been intimidating the hill community. Back then, Rick seemed pretty optimistic about defeating this group. What Rick didn’t know, this group has a lot of members and one mean leader called Negan. The first attack leads Rick to rethink his strategy and a new tactic to defeat the group.
I was mad with Kirkman when I was reading this volume because one of my favorite characters is dead. Brutally killed by Negan. Why? Why this character? I was angry and instantly hate this Negan character. He did it like it was nothing. I usually feel fine with the gore that’s presented in this comic. Not this one, I couldn’t take my favorite character brutally murdered. The ending of this volume kind of give a little hope though. I really want to see where the story goes.


Title: The Walking Dead Vol 18: What Comes After
Issues: #103-#108
Writer: Robert Kirkman
Illustrator: Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn
Publisher: Image Comics
Publication year: 2013
Language: English
Pages: 136
Rating: 4/5



In the previous volume, Kirkman introduced us to Negan. His reputation precedes him. I heard that Negan is scarier than the governor. That’s true. I think he’s cruel and scary. Then I think, is that it? Well, in this volume Kirkman reveal another side of Negan. He is mean and crazy, but he’s still human after all (in a twisted way).
Also, in this volume Carl gets more portion. I think he’s sort of important to the story. Plotwise, this saviour story arc feels like an extended version of the governor story arc. Rick and his group has a group of enemies with a mean leader (like Woodbury). Except that this time a lot more people involved. It’s amazing to see that there are communities out there (other than Alexandria) that provide places to live; which shows that starting civilization like before the outbreak is possible. Considering for most of the time Rick’s group had to travel a lot to find safe place to live. Why didn’t they encounter this kind of community earlier? I’m intrigued to read the continuation of this story arc. This volume doesn’t exactly end in a cliffhanger, but it builds up enough tension to make me curious about the next volume.



No comments :

Post a Comment