[Review] A Bend In The Road - Nicholas Sparks

Title of Book:  A Bend in the Road
Author:  Nicholas Sparks
Publisher:  Grand Central Publishing

Miles Ryan's life seemed to end the day his wife was killed in a hit-and-run accident two years ago. As deputy sheriff of New Bern, North Carolina, he not only grieves for her and worries about their young son Jonah but longs to bring the unknown driver to justice. Then Miles meets Sarah Andrews, Jonah's second-grade teacher. A young woman recovering from a difficult divorce, Sarah moved to New Bern hoping to start over. Tentatively, Sarah and Miles reach out to each other...soon they are falling in love. But what neither realizes is that they are also bound together by a shocking secret, one that will force them to reexamine everything they believe in--including their love.
In A Bend in the Road, Nicholas Sparks writes with a luminous intensity about life's bitter turns and incomparable sweetness. His affirming message carries a powerful lesson about the imperfections of being human, the mistakes we all make, and the joy that comes when we give ourselves to love.


                I like the title of this book. ‘A Bend in the Road’ sounds melancholy to me. And since it’s Sparks’, i always put my tissue box near me when I read. This book is depressing, but also sweet. How could a man love a woman that much? When the back cover of the book said ‘Miles Ryan's life seemed to end the day his wife was killed’, it’s true you know. If only Jonah hadn't been born I’m pretty sure that Miles would kill himself.
                Miles, Sarah, and Jonah are the center character of the story. Actually there is another important character but I won’t tell it to you because it will spoil the story :p. Sparks used two points of view, from Miles and from the one who killed Miles’ wife. Well, the story is not that depressing actually. There’s a time when Miles finally find his new happiness with Sarah, but that’s depressing … for me. I don’t like Sarah Andrew. I don’t know why I just don’t. She’s like someone who pops out from nowhere and suddenly takes Miles’ heart away. I feel like I was betrayed (umm, now I sound like I’m Miles wife ._.). But, it’s heartbreaking too, knowing that Jonah will grow up without a mother. He misses his mother so much, he’s just a kid. So I guess we don’t have a choice here.
                I’m drawn to Miles. I don’t think that there is a man like him left in this world. Miles and his wife are high school sweethearts. He’s so devoted to his family. The way he describes his wife, Missy, is so lovely as if Missy was a perfect woman in his eyes. But I could tell that it’s not just an ‘as if’, it’s true. What can I say? women love romantic story even though it ends up in a tragic way (Dang! Now my feeling is kinda blue here). Oh, and don’t ask me if I cried while reading the book because I did, especially there was Boyz II Men singing Open Arms in the background. I love this book, but hey! I always love Sparks’ book (except The Lucky One, I’ll stick to the word ‘like’ not ‘love’ for that one).


No comments :

Post a Comment