May 2023 Wrap-Up & Favorites

May Wrap-Up & Favorites
Source: personal collection

Hello fellow readers! Some say that May feels a lot longer this year. I'd agree with that, but I don't think it's a bad thing. May is longer because there're many vacation days. Also, the dread of slowly coming to the mid of the year. Truthfully, there's a part of me that don't want May to end. Alas, May already ends anyway which means it's time for monthly wrap-up and favorite.

Books read in May


Letter from Birmingham Jail Letter from Birmingham Jail - Martin Luther King Jr. (★★★★)
Letter from Birmingham Jail is a part of Penguin modern mini collection which compiles two of MLK's essays. The first one is an open letter which he wrote in 1963. It's one of the important text for the civil right movement in the United States. The letter is a response to the criticisms on the demonstration against racial segregation. In the letter, MLK argued that demonstration was needed as legal action wouldn't work in that case. He differentiated between just and unjust law. When unjust law was applied, it became people's responsibility to correct it. While the second one is a sermon on The Three Dimensions of a Complete Life. In his sermon he reminded the audience that to reach a complete life, we have to try fulfilling God-given purposes in life, caring for the welfare of others, and to seek God. I think this mini collects such enlightening essays. I highly recommend to read this one.
All the Light We Cannot See All the Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr (★★★★)
All the Light We Cannot See is a historical fiction following a blind French girl named Marie-Laure and a German boy named Werner who's fascinated with radio. It is set during World War II and after the war. Though Marie-Laure and Werner come from different background, their path intertwine in an unexpected way. The book is a bit slow paced, but the prose is beautiful and haunting. The book itself is being adapted into a series by Netflix. That's the main reason why this book became my priority this month. I highly recommend this book to read.
Burning Heat Burning Heat - Akiyoshi Rikako (★★★)
Burning Heat is a mystery thriller book written by a Japanese writer, Akiyoshi Rikako. If you've been following this blog for sometime, you would know that Akiyoshi Rikako is one of my favorite writers. Her books often keep me on the edge of my seat. Her book which titled Holy Mother is the one that's memorable for me. Though this one is not as shocking as Holy Mother, if you want to start reading Akiyoshi's book but afraid of the gore, Burning Heat could be your starting point. As what I suggest with her other books, try reading her books without knowing what it's really about so you'll get more out of it.
Seconds Seconds - Bryan Lee O'Malley, Jason Fischer, Dustin Harbin (★★★★)
Seconds is a graphic novel written by the same person who created Scott Pilgrim comic series. The illustration is adorable. Although I haven't read Scott Pilgrim, based on what I see on the cover, I'd say that the illustration style is pretty similar. The underlying theme of this graphic novel is actually quite common. It's about appreciating life as how it is instead of trying to change things. It's also about working towards your goal instead of just wishing for it. Katie, as the main character, is fun to read. Sometimes she responds to the narration by giving snide remarks. The book turns into a dark direction toward the end. Still, overall this graphic novel is enjoyable to read.


May Favorites


Series

Midnight Diner

Food is one topic that I always have interest in watching. I often have trouble in determining what to eat in the day. In a way, this show helps to inspire me. Midnight Diner revolves around a diner in the city of Tokyo which opens late night and closes in the morning. Each episode centers around a particular character, who is a customer of the diner, and his/her ordered dish. The episode will tell the backstory of the customer and their connection to the dish. I started watching the show for some inspiration, but end up being touched by the customer stories. The dishes are rather simple, and the master gives some direction on how to recreate the dish at the end of the episode. All in all, I recommend this show to watch.

There you have it. Next month will mark the middle of the year. At least by far I've reached half of my yearly Goodreads challenge. That is if I don't suddenly feel ambitious and update the challenge. Also, I went to Suga Agust D concert in May. No words can describe how much fun I had that day. I mean, it's THE Min Yoongi, Suga of BTS, my ultimate bias. Until that day, I didn't know how loud I can scream (lol). I think that concert is the highlight of my month. Anyway, my wrap-up for May is posted a bit late. Hopefully I can be on schedule next month. Have a great month ahead!

No comments :

Post a Comment