November-December 2022 Wrap-Up & Favorites

November-December Wrap-Up & Favorites
Source: personal collection

Happy new year fellow readers! This post will mark the last of my monthly wrap-up in 2022. Hopefully in 2023 I'll be more consistent in posting my wrap-up and favorite (though let's be real, we know that won't happen). By the end of 2022, I managed to complete my Goodreads challenge which is to read 30 books. I merge November and December because I didn't finish any books in November. However, I watched good animes and films which I include in my favorites below.

Books read in December


Diary of a Void Diary of a Void - Emi Yagi (★★★)
Shibata is a single working woman in her thirties. As the only woman in her office, she always got to do the errands at the office, such as make coffee, clean dirty cups, distributing snacks, and make copies. One day, she told her coworkers that she couldn't clean dirty cups because she's pregnant and can't stand the smell. She's actually not pregnant and thus began the spiral of lie. This book has a fascinating premise. It's weird and become surreal at some point. Somehow, I expected that. If it sounds like it's right up your alley, you can try picking it up.
Orange: Future Orange: Future - Ichigo Takano (★★★★)
Orange: Future is the sequel of a manga series titled Orange which I read 2 years ago (review here). I wouldn't write anything about the plot since this is the sequel. However, Orange: Future is told from the point of view of another character in the series. It's still as heart-wrenching as the previous books. This one deals with grief and the aftermath of the previous books. If you read the previous volumes of Orange, I recommend to keep on reading to this volume.
Thinking, Fast and Slow Thinking, Fast and Slow - Daniel Kahneman (★★★★)
Thinking, Fast and Slow is a nonfiction book which explain how our minds work. Kahneman explains that our mind has two different systems. The first system thinks intuitively and fast. While the second system thinks analytically which takes longer. This book explains in detail the biases and logical fallacies which trap our systems. This book is fascinating. Though sometimes there are statistical explanation which went over my head because I usually read this book after work. I just couldn't do it. I couldn't be bothered to prove if the statistical explanation make sense. I just agree with it and move on. If you're interested in the topic though, you can try picking up this book.
Notes on Grief Notes on Grief - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (★★★★)
This small book collects Adichie's esssays on her grief of losing her father. Through these essays, she reminisced about her beloved father. She lost her father during COVID-19 pandemic. Her family is scattered around the world. Because of the lockdown, she couldn't immediately see her father in person, which I could relate to. When I read the summary on the cover of this book, I knew that I would cry while reading this book. I think I picked this book up because I needed to cry and I needed to reminisce about my late father too. Nevertheless, reading Notes on Grief feels so personal to me and I think I will re-read it.
Before Your Memory Fades Before Your Memory Fades - Toshikazu Kawaguchi (★★★★)
Before Your Memory Fades is the third book in the Before the Coffee Gets Cold series. Although it's set in the different cafe from the first and second book, this book still has the same premise as the previous books. If you're not familiar with the series, you could read my review here and here. This time, we're taken to a cozy cafe in Hakodate, called Donna Donna. There's still connection between the characters in this book with the previous books; but it's too complicated and could spoil the previous books so I won't explain it here. Like the previous books, this one also consists of four stories of people who time travel through the special seat in the cafe. The stories will give you warmth and comfort. Although the stories technically don't really connect to the previous books, the main characters and the 'time travel rules' are explained better in the previous books. I'd suggest picking up the first and second book before picking up this one.
The Ten Loves of Mr Nishino The Ten Loves of Mr Nishino - Hiromi Kawakami (★★★)
A collection of ten stories from women who had relationship with an enigmatic womanizer named Nishino. Though revolved around Nishino, these stories are told from the perspective of the women. Spanning through Nishino's life, from young love, summer fling, college love, to extramarital affair, we'll learn the kind of person Nishino is. The Ten Loves of Mr Nishino is my first time reading Kawakami's book. Famously known for her other book, Strange Weather in Tokyo, I still think this book is a good introduction to her writing.

November-December Favorites


Book

Before Your Memory Fades

Anime

Kaguya Sama: Love is War
I randomly watched this anime because I was bored and this title showed up everywhere on Disney+. Apparently I enjoy it so much. It's an anime about two high school students who like each other but their pride won't allow them to be honest to each other. For them, love is a game and who confesses first is the loser. Of course, shenanigans ensued and it's hilarious.

Chainsaw Man
This anime is hyped even before it's released. As for me, I was intrigued by the title. What the heck is Chainsaw Man? How could a person have literal chainsaw as his head? Is he even a person? I don't read the manga so I had no clue. But then I watched it and found Hayakawa Aki. I swear Aki is enough reason for me to keep watching the show. One thing that I noticed, for a horror show with so much blood and gore, it's surprisingly chill. The show is giving me this lo-fi relaxing vibe; i.e the music, the animation style. If you don't believe me, go watch every flashback scene or watch the fourth episode. In the episode, they give us Aki's morning routine. What could be more chill than that. Anyway, season 1 has finished broadcasted. I already get spoiled that something tragic and horrible would happen to the main trio. Yet, I still can't wait to watch the next season.

Movies

The Travelling Cat Chronicles
Read the book, love it. I decided to watch the film. Not to mention, the main cast is easy on the eye. As with most book-to-film adaptation, some part in the book is not included. The film still as touching as the book though. If you're looking for touching film about human-pet relationship, I recommend to watch this one,

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
To tell you the truth of all MCU films, Black Panther is the least expected film for me. It changed since the trailer for this film was released. we get a glimpse of new prominent characters. Also, Angela Bassett, I want to watch the film only for her. The woman deserves an award for her acting in this film. When this film is available on Disney+, I will definitely rewatch it.

Bullet Train
Some bookish friends who read the book already were excited when this film was released. They watched the film when it's still on movie theater and they give positive reviews. I wait until it's available on streaming services. It's entertaining and fun. I mean, there's no question about the cast. The plot is pretty tight and it's fast-paced so it's exciting. All I'm saying is this film is quite a ride.

There you have it! Once again, happy new year 2023. I'm considering posting my bookish goals and target for 2023 so I can be held accountable. Then again, I don't want this bookish thing becomes a duty and gives me more pressure. We'll see. Anyhoo, Hope we all stay healthy and be happy this year!

No comments :

Post a Comment